Author Topic: Caerphilly and Gadgets  (Read 4152 times)

qdog1955

Caerphilly and Gadgets
« on: January 20, 2015, 12:58:25 PM »
Made my third Caerphilly yesterday------not sure if I should post this under cheese making or Gizmos and Gadgets :) I wasn't to happy with my previous attempts----so gave it another try from various recipes----I won't post my make notes, as they are pretty much the same as all the others-----will include some pics of make-----in those, you can see some of the devices I have come up with to make cheese making easier for us folks who have some physical limitations.
  You may notice that my new vat is sitting on my new Max Burton induction cooktop---inside the plywood and sheet metal device----this is because, after receiving the cooktop, I discover it has a fifty pound weight limit (fine print, bottom of page) ;)----5 to 7 gal. makes go over that----this device supports most of the weight while keeping the cooktop in contact with vat through a spring loaded table----the set up worked great----induction is the way to go.
  The next device is my auto stirring device----be aware that most of this has been cobbled together from stuff I have had laying around the house. Hanging on the wall is a 12 volt dc transformer---this connects to a variable on/off timer relay----I can change the amount of time it is on, and the time off---this works automatically----from there it goes to a motor speed controller and then to a power window motor from a car ( 11 newton meter-about 8 ft.lb torque) The device worked great on this make, PH milk, which has a tendency for the curds to fracture-----next I will see how it will work on a nice raw milk curd.
 Notice the swinging hook over the sink for hanging bagged cheese.
Will answer any questions that I can for those attempting this type set up. Bare in mind I am obviously not an engineer and this setup is a prototype that I am still playing with. Any helpful insights would be appreciated.
Qdog
 OK folks ---added some pics that might help.
 In my all my testing so far ----the three most important things I have come up with are:
#1  Speed control---for most of us, that means DC----AC gets to expensive----this is app. 0 to 60 RPM
#2  The off/on timer relay----  with out this, you would have to hit a switch all the time and if you have to do that---you might as well stir by hand--- I can walk away now or make my notes or drink a couple beers :)
#3  The paddle configuration makes a huge difference----I first tried to imitate commercial cheese stirring paddles---I just couldn't get any to work.
Qdog     
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:40:07 PM by qdog1955 »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Caerphilly and Gadgets
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:20:19 PM »
Rube Goldburg ain't got nothing on you ;)
I would like to see more detail on the induction stand, I worry about the weight my 5 gallon batches.
AC4U (your Caerphilly looks great to) ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 03:13:35 PM »
Very nice setup. Extremely inspiring for a gadget freak like me.

I'm especially interested in the stirrer. Is the small horizontal stick really enough for stirring?

I use square pans so I can't steal the idea 100%

Really great work!!

:-) Danbo

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »
Qdog, thanks for posting this. AC4U for ingenuity!

A couple of questions -- what did you find most effective as a paddle? In the picture it looks like just a single wire - ?

Also, did you use stainless for the metal bits, or aluminum, or ?
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »
 H-J-K
 How about I post some separate pics or a drawing in the Equipment section in the next day or two.
Awake
 It's a 1/2 ss round with a bronze sheet metal tab, about 1 1/2" x 6" set on a bronze hub at about a 60 degree angle---this has worked best,so far, out of all the ones I have tried----only used the bronze because it's easy to work with, will replace with stainless, when I'm sure every thing is working right----bet bronze sheet is hard to come by today----this was out of a 100 year old hydro turbine----The ultimate recycle--- I can post a better pic if you want. Not sure what metal bits you"re referring to?
 Danbo
  Can't steal something that's gladly being given away ;)----and I think I answered your question in the answer to Awake----if not, ask again.
Qdog

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 10:14:01 PM »
H-K-J
  Added some pics and info under my original post on induction cooktop under equipment.
Qdog

qdog1955

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »

amiriliano

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »
You're a genius!

I want to see that stirrer in person when I come out in a few months!

AC$U!

qdog1955

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 12:10:38 PM »
Thanks Emi-----if only I were a genius-----maybe I'd be rich, instead of just good looking :)
Qdog

IllinoisCheeseHead

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 03:23:39 PM »
Hi

Do you know what the optimal RPM should be?.  Also, did you have any problems with the torque?

Nice job!!!

qdog1955

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 10:33:06 AM »
Let me share a few things I've learned along the way.
This particular device would have trouble moving more than a 4 gallon make. A higher torque motor would solve that problem.
The torque needed will lessen as the curd starts to cook and shrink.
That is why the speed control becomes a necessity----as the curd shrinks the speed will increase, again, higher torque would help, but the auto on/off timer really helps with control.
 The ultimate speed is an illusion because of different curd sizes and moisture retention of the required type of cheese.
The point being----that you have to become an expert on using the device properly, taking lots of notes for each cheese make. I have found it just as easy to hand stir, with a better "feel" for the curd. I use it mainly on PH milk that doesn't give a very nice curd anyway----on cheese that requires very small curd or on those few makes that require 3 to 4 hours of stirring.
  Also bare in mind that all the gizmos I make are done on the cheap, with stuff laying around the shop-----If you have money to spend, I'm sure a much better and efficient device can be made.
Qdog 

amiriliano

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 10:39:38 PM »
Genius! Amazing skills. AC4U!

By the way: where did you buy the long stem thermometer?

qdog1955

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
Thermo is from Amazon

Qdog