Author Topic: Adventures with appenzeller  (Read 2225 times)

Mermaid

Adventures with appenzeller
« on: January 21, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »
I have been making an appenzeller with full fat raw jersey milk. Just wanted to share some of my pictures. Struggling with control in the affinage stage- any helpful tips are welcome as I am fairly new to cheesemaking.

The first two pictures are of the same batch of cheese - the first at 4 months and the second at 3 months. How long do you all age alpine cheeses? I think 4 or 5 is best for this cheese since it's so high in fat . Has anyone aged full fat jersey cheeses longer? Did you get any rancidity?

The last picture is of a rind I'm having trouble with. Currently 3 months old. It's mushy and crusty and kind of falling off. It's also not a color I'm used to. Grey with white pitting molds and some reddish molds in spots. Any ideas?

Thanks !!!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Adventures with appenzeller
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 11:53:05 PM »
So how long do you age them??  Perhaps I will try appenzeller tomorrow with my Jersey milk - though smaller than your makes so it would not age as long...

Was your humidity higher than normal with the rind that was mushy and crusty?
Susan

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:44:14 AM »
I've found that the Alpine-styles that I've made with Jersey milk - both lightly skimmed and whole milk (5%) were decent at 7-8 months and very good at 11-12 months.  No rancidity issues.

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 04:06:15 AM »
I've found that the Alpine-styles that I've made with Jersey milk - both lightly skimmed and whole milk (5%) were decent at 7-8 months and very good at 11-12 months.  No rancidity issues.

What size?

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
Some of those little holes look like the photos I've seen of  cheese mites. Might want to check.
Qdog

Mermaid

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:45:13 AM »
I have since improved much on my appenzeller make- will post pictures soon. No cheese mites!

Also I was aging the wheels 4-5 months but that just isnt long enough! Intensely creamy and mild/sweet but less of the nutty caramelly notes I'm going for. Aiming to age them longer but unfortunately must move lots of product for the summer season to make a living :) That's life I guess!

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »
Quote from: Bantams on May 19, 2015, 09:44:14 PM

What size?

Sorry, just checked back here.
They are usually from 6-7 gallons, so about 6-6.5# wheels.

kosztmark

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 01:27:44 PM »
Good looking cheese!

I would be interested in making appenzeller cheese. I was looking for a recipe on this forum, but I could not find any. Could you help me in it?

Thanks,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:58:19 PM by kosztmark »