Author Topic: A swing lever press, The sturdypress "foldup"  (Read 15524 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: A swing lever press, The sturdypress "foldup"
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2016, 04:54:16 PM »
After a failed cheddar (probably the result of a too-low pressing weight, I am in the market for a new cheese press and this one caught my eye in an old posting. I have a newbie question to add on here.. the site says it can handle 250lbs, does that mean 250lbs of force after the MA? <--- I am assuming! Is this enough for a cheddar in an 8 in mold?
  If you want more you can buy the original sturdy press.  I have pressed up to 450 pounds, after MA, with mine several times.  It creaked a bit but held up just fine.  I suspect this one would generate that with this one as he did say he tested it to 41 pounds on the arm.  At a 15X MA you would only need 30 pounds on the arm.  That would be plenty for any cheese.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 07:22:42 PM »
I wish you would ship this to Malaysia.

Ann, part of what sets Bob's design (the SturdyPress) apart is its elegant simplicity. Having lived in the Philippines and in Singapore, I am confident that you can find someone there in Malaysia who can look at the pictures and make a copy. In fact ... I may be getting mixed up with a different design, but it seems to me that Bob may have helped someone who lived outside the US with plans. Might do some searching here, or contact Bob directly ... though come to think of it, I don't think I've seen any posts from him in a while -- ??
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 02:17:37 AM »
I wish you would ship this to Malaysia.

Ann, part of what sets Bob's design (the SturdyPress) apart is its elegant simplicity. Having lived in the Philippines and in Singapore, I am confident that you can find someone there in Malaysia who can look at the pictures and make a copy. In fact ... I may be getting mixed up with a different design, but it seems to me that Bob may have helped someone who lived outside the US with plans. Might do some searching here, or contact Bob directly ... though come to think of it, I don't think I've seen any posts from him in a while -- ??

Yes, Andy. I think I have to get this made asap but I am wondering if the measurements will greatly affect the final functions as I will have to make it from my estimation.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »
Talk to OzzieCheese.  I believe he's the one that built one of these from plans he got from Bob.

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 09:52:59 PM »
Just sent a PM to AnnDee. Sorry about the delay but I have spent the last week rebuilding my pc software after a win 10 update 1511 disaster. Tried linux but the learning curve is above my pay grade, so I'm back with old favorite win 7.
Bob

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »
Do what I did Bob.  Buy a MAC.  All of the new systems are free and it updates itself overnight.  Best move I ever made.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:11:24 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 01:34:55 AM »
Good to see you back, Bob! I was a bit worried there.
-- Andy

AnnDee

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
I received my press today from sturdypress.com. What a beauty! Excellent craftmanship, very reasonable price and really great service. So excited for this weekend cheese making session!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:28:44 AM by AnnDee »

Kern

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2016, 11:34:38 PM »
I've got one of Bob's (Smolt1) larger presses so I may not be as familiar with the one you received.  But from the pictures you posted it looks like the tongue of the base board should go all the way into the the plywood pieces that attach to the upright piece.  Would put the cheese being pressed on a wider portion of the base board.

AnnDee

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2016, 01:10:28 AM »
Oops, I feel silly now. I have put it in wrong position.

This is more like it, I think.

valley ranch

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2016, 11:08:48 PM »
Looks good!

tashad

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2016, 04:17:17 PM »
I am really hoping to be able to be able to upgrade to a sturdypress sometime this year.  I've been looking at the site periodically and noticed that there is no longer any price info or 'buy' link for the sturdypress original.  That one hasn't been discontinued has it?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »
Tasha, I think Bob (the maker of the Sturdy Press) may have reduced his production of all of his presses. I know a member here bought the fold-up style from him not too long ago ... I'd suggest sending him an email and see if the original is still available.
-- Andy

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 04:34:33 PM »
Good guess Andy. I still plan to continue making both presses, but at a slower ( more like an 80 year old ) pace. The traffic on the sturdypress website continues to increase. Most visits are to look at the pages on weight and pressure and download the press calculator.

Bob

jennisheppard

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2016, 07:51:14 PM »
I am aiming to make a Farmhouse Cheddar with the Sturdypress Foldaway. What is the biggest mould I could use for that? If you could link to something suitable that ships to Canada that would be amazing!