Author Topic: A swing lever press, The sturdypress "foldup"  (Read 15542 times)

Dorchestercheese

Re: A swing lever press, The sturdypress "foldup"
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2017, 11:49:16 AM »
When can I get one?  Either design?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 01:47:54 PM »
Dorchester, Bob's website, sturdypress.com, shows the original version out of production, and the foldaway version temporarily out of stock. I think I remember Bob saying that he was slowing down on producing these, but it would certainly be worth contacting him to check; there is a contact link on the website. Also on the website, Bob has graciously posted DIY plans for the original version. Bob's design is a masterpiece of simple elegance; this is a design that will not be hard to make, or find someone to make, if you want to go that route.
-- Andy

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2017, 07:48:23 PM »
Thanks Andy-
I hammer nail poorly lets not try to cut wood.
Thanks
Know of anyone else that sells these?  My cheap one is well cheap

John@PC

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
Know of anyone else that sells these?  My cheap one is well cheap
I've got a couple of presses that were prototypes for a "compact" pulley / cantilevered press (and a reasonably good design if I do say so) that I never commercialized and probably won't so they're just sitting on the shelf.  I'm pretty much giving these away for cost of shipping and materials.  If you're interested in send me a message or email.   By the way: Bob Samuelson's (Smolt's) presses are engineering works of  art so if he's still in the shop and you can get on his que it would be worth the wait and the $99. 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »
Bob has gone out of business.  As I predicted people will now search for a used sturdy press in the hopes of getting their hands on an original.

And so ends an era. The best press on the market is no more. Years from now those still using one will talk of it's perfection and young cheesemakers will search the markets for used ones to purchase so that they can say "I have an original SturdyPress."  Sorry to hear you're going out of business Bob but let me personally thank you from all of your customers, and those you simply gave the plans to, for achieving excellence and bringing it to the market.  As a Master Toolmaker, that designs machines for a living, I have to say that you sir, are a true Master Craftsman and have placed something in the world that has set the standard for all that follow to live up to.  I am delighted to know you and wish you the best in whatever is to follow in your life.  Thank you!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Dorchestercheese

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2017, 04:54:49 PM »
Dorchester, that is similar to the first press that I made. It works ... but it has definite limits: 1) Mechanical advantage is fixed; that one looks to be about 4:1. 2) Weight looks to be intended to hang from the arm; if so, this requires having space for the weight to dangle, and tipping may be an issue. 3) The board that stabilizes / keeps the ram straight is mounted right next to the head of the ram; it's not going to fit down into a mold, so you'll have to add spacers of some sort.
-- Andy

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2017, 03:18:22 PM »
Dorchester, I have a couple of "foldaway" presses left. You can use the contact form on sturdypress.com to send your shipping address and I'll give you a shipping cost quote.

Andy and Al, The local high school has a shop but no woodworking classes. I am trying to generate some interest in a class to make and sell the "original" sturdypress. That would give the school enough income to keep the shop tools repaired and sharp, also a good way to learn to run a small business. So far no luck ( teacher salary, insurance, etc,etc).

Bob

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »
Bob, that's a great idea; I hate that you're not getting a positive response. :(
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2017, 09:11:24 PM »
The local high school has a shop but no woodworking classes. I am trying to generate some interest in a class to make and sell the "original" sturdypress. That would give the school enough income to keep the shop tools repaired and sharp, also a good way to learn to run a small business. So far no luck ( teacher salary, insurance, etc,etc)
Hi Bob.  That's sad that the students would have an opportunity to learn to make an authentic artisanal product like a cheese press.  They could even use it to make cheese in their Home Economics class.   What, no woodworking or Home Ec. classes anymore?  :( :( :(