Author Topic: Rindless Blue?? Coastal Blue??  (Read 756 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Rindless Blue?? Coastal Blue??
« on: January 23, 2015, 09:05:01 PM »
I think these are both failures. Makes were about 2 months along, so I cut them open and tasted a wee bit. Waiting to see if it makes my stomach upset...
The taste was not horrid but not what I was planning on. In both cases sort of cheddary but with a blue flavor that is not piquant, just sort of moldy.
These were a try at the Caldwell Rindless Blue,  and the Karlin Coastal Blue, using a slurry made from Point Reyes Blue. The curd ended up too firm and dry, especially in the Rindless Blue, and the blue did not seem to grow properly. I am not sure if the fault lies in trying to use a slurry instead of buying blue starter, or if the makes were just poor, or some combination. The other problem was they both got too dry in my small old cave which ran about 75 to 80% humidity, although water drips from the top requiring protection for the cheeses. The cave is also a bit cold at about 48 degrees. I would like to try again with proper innoculant, but I am afraid to put blue cheese in the main cave with my other babies. So I may need to get some proper aging boxes to keep the humidity up and the drips off.
Any suggestions out there? Think it would be safe to try eating a bit more?
Susan