Author Topic: Not enough rennet?  (Read 10504 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Not enough rennet?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2015, 06:03:23 AM »
Adding lipase really does magic to the flavor - I always use lipase when making feta. Well except for last time and the flavor was a bit boring...

I use a pure kd-goat lipase which gives a sharp intense flavor.

:-) Danbo

welly

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 07:19:19 AM »
Hi Welly,

I'm very new on here and to cheesemaking in general. Are your rennet tablets from mad millie? I was using mad millie rennet tablets, but was having very long curd setting times. The strength of the mad millie tablets is very low, so you need a lot more than most of the recipes call for. I bought some liquid rennet from cheeselinks and the setting time was very close to what the recipes expected.

Good luck with your cheesemaking.

Shane

My rennet was from Green Living Australia. It was probably fine rennet but either I didn't leave it long enough or the milk I'm using is crap (it's just Woolworths full fat, pasturised milk). I'm going to try the non-homogenised milk they sell and perhaps the Paris Creek milk unless I can find a source of raw milk up here in Darwin!

Cheers

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2015, 05:55:03 PM »
I like lipase in fresh or short-curing cheeses -- for example, I like adding it to mozarella. I suspect it will also be good in extra hard grating cheese where intense flavor is desirable; I plan to give that a try in my next parma-style. But my experience with adding it to medium-aging cheeses -- a 2-month-old Lancashire and a 6-month old Manchego -- suggests that it can get REALLY strong, even at low dosing rates. I used less than half of what the recipe called for in the Manchego, and it is almost too strong to eat. (Though I've been thinking it might be good in a salad, almost like a blue.) YMMV ...
-- Andy

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 06:17:53 PM »
Awakephd: What kind of strong taste? Like an old strong cheese or a strong goat-like-flavor. I love strong aged cheeses... :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 08:47:45 PM »
Australia Day !!  -  Celebrating this wonderful, wide, wild and Beautiful place on Earth !
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 02:59:05 AM »
Danbo, I'm not quite sure how to describe it. At first, it doesn't seem that strong ... but then it hits with a sharp bite at the back of the throat. It almost reminds me of an over-the-top blue type of bite, at least more like that than like a sharp cheddar. It's not a taste that I dislike ... but it is too much (for me) for a table cheese. Again, might be perfect for use crumbled on a salad.

Mal, something tells me -- just a vague notion, really -- not sure what makes me think it -- but I wonder if it might be Australia day? :)

Have a wonderful day celebrating your grand and glorious country -- a place I very much want to visit one of these days!
-- Andy

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 11:39:36 PM »
Mate !!,  Have beer and Cheese - place to crash if needed. 

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Frodage

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 01:22:51 AM »
#3 - my experience with the flocc method is that it gives not-very-clear results when using P&H milk. No matter how much or little rennet I use, I seem to get some sort of flocculation in less than five minutes...
Crumbs! I wish I had known this on Saturday! The first time I used the flocc method (we only get pasteurized milk in the Great White North) and I was surprised to see a five minute slow down in the spin, but I cut the curd at 20 minutes like I thought I was supposed to. Now I'm worried for my Gorgonzola  :'(

qdog1955

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 11:26:27 AM »
Hey Mal,
  You'll be pleased to know----For the first time I own a calendar that shows Australia Day---have had some with Canada day----you guys down under are getting the recognition you deserve.
Qdog

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 08:19:16 PM »
Thanks.  WooHoo - We've grown up !!  Was a good day.  Cold Beer - Hot snags and three Days off (Long Weekend) who could ask for more !!

-- Mal

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 02:24:27 AM »
#3 - my experience with the flocc method is that it gives not-very-clear results when using P&H milk. No matter how much or little rennet I use, I seem to get some sort of flocculation in less than five minutes...
Crumbs! I wish I had known this on Saturday! The first time I used the flocc method (we only get pasteurized milk in the Great White North) and I was surprised to see a five minute slow down in the spin, but I cut the curd at 20 minutes like I thought I was supposed to. Now I'm worried for my Gorgonzola  :'(

Were you making the two-day Gorgonzola recipe? In any case, you might or might not get exactly what you aimed for ... but as long as #1 is okay, all is good. :)

-- Andy

Frodage

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »
Hi Awake,
I was making the gorgonzola dolce from Ricky Carroll's website - the one day version. It's my first time making a blue. So far, it looks like a cheese...

cuttingcheese

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 08:06:53 PM »
Can you share Valerie's Feta or tell me what to search for other than "Feta"

Hi Welly,

I use Valerie's' Feta recipe all the time without issue and I use this recipe every time with Lipase.  There is a note right on the bottom
Note; If using lipase, you will need to increase the amount of rennet used to achieve a good clean break
.  And I always increase my Rennet by 50%.  If you are using GLA's rennet tablet then 1/2 a tablet is good.  I don't like Mad Millies tablets, as Shane says, they are too weak for some of the recipes, especially for the hard long ripening cheeses - they are very bitter in that instance.   I know that postage is expensive from GLA but their liquid rennet is great and their tablet performance is pretty consistent as well.

Hope that helps.

--Mal

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 12:06:11 AM »
Her eis a link the Valerie's recipes

http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/cheeserecipe.html

This method uses the hanging bag method to develop the acid.  To which then the cubes are direct salted.  You can instead of that, use the square feta molds to drain and use a brine solution instead of directly salting.   

-- Mal

John@PC

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 10:53:42 PM »
Hi Welly,

It seems that your thread got "segwayed" a bit (I think that Australian for "my boom-a-rang didn't come back" ::).  I love the taste of lipase too, but getting back to curd integrity there was a lot of good "food for thought" suggestions here.  Maybe someone mentioned it but stirring technique is VERY important.  I made cheese for more than a year until I learned proper stirring.  Yes, if you're using raw (or cream-line) milk, calcium chloride, etc. you should have better curd integrity but don't overlook how your stir.  When I switched to a silicone cake spatula and used a very gentle and slow "jiggling" during early stirring I experienced much less shattering.  If you use a ladle make sure you push the curds with the back of the ladle (if you use the front the sharp edge will cut the fragile curds).