Author Topic: Rennets of different strengths  (Read 5787 times)

riha

Rennets of different strengths
« on: January 24, 2015, 03:09:40 PM »
Hello. After a few years break in cheese making I'm back in the saddle. Obviously with questions, I hope you can help.

I've understood that "standard strength" rennet is 1:15 000 and double strength is presumably 1:30 000. Now, the stuff I get from a supermarket here (as in without ordering online) says 1:5000, so does that mean it's third of the strength of single strength rennet? Does that mean I should use triple the amount instructed in recipes? It also advices one to use 2 tsp per 10 liters (2.64 gal) of milk, which is around double to the ratio often found with single strength rennets.

SOSEATTLE

Re: Rennets of different strengths
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 02:17:32 AM »
It's generally best, at least as a starting point, to use what is recommended on the rennet packaging. Enjoy getting back into cheese making  :)

Susan

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:12:45 AM »
The whole question of rennet strength is a rather confusing one as rennets come in a variety of strengths. It seems that single strength rennet (1:15000) in the US is about 280-300 IMCU. Single strength rennet in Europe is, apparently, 1:10000 (I make that about 200 IMCU.)
[ IMCU stands for International Milk Coagulation Units.]
I use a 140 IMCU rennet with a recommended dosage of 2.5 ml/10L but there are other strengths available.
You could change the dosage in the recipe in the way that you described but I am inclined to think that Susan's advice is good: start with the manufacturers recommended dosage.
You can then use the flocculation method to check that you are getting appropriate coagulation times. You will find plenty of information about this on the forum.
- Andrew

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:10:20 AM »
It seems that single strength rennet (1:15000) in the US is about 280-300 IMCU. Single strength rennet in Europe is, apparently, 1:10000 (I make that about 200 IMCU.)

I read that too somewhere but the rennet / rennet paste that I've bought here in Europe has been 1:15000 each time.

I agree that you should follow the dosage info on the rennet. Sometimes the recipes are way off in my opinion.

riha

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:51 PM »
When making harder cheeses, I've started with the recommended dosage and adjusted from there. At the moment I'm experimenting with yogurt that uses "one drop" of rennet to solidify it a bit, so I was wondering what would be a good starting point. Good thing with yogurt is that one batch is rather small and even if it doesn't succeed well, the result is most likely still good. For a smoothie, if nothing else.

Also, I was wondering if it's worth buying single strength rennet online, since it's about twice as expensive as the stuff in the stores. Guess I'll get one bottle and see if it coagulates better than the local stuff.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:50:54 AM »
Riha,

For what it is worth, I found that adding  a drop or two of rennet to yoghurt gave me results that I liked less than doing without the rennet.

Lately I've been making some really fabulous yoghurt, 1 gallon at a time. I heat a gallon of whole milk to 180º F and hold at that temp for 30 minutes, stirring constantly. (I read a book while stirring!) Then I cool to 120º, pour into a gallon-size glass jar, and set the jar in a yoghurt maker. I ladle some of the milk into a cup with about 1/4 cup of Froyo 2% plain yoghurt (that's the brand that has given me the best results), whisk it together, then pour back into the milk and mix in. I cover the jar with kitchen towels to keep the heat in -- the yoghurt maker was only designed to hold 6-6 oz jars, rather than a whole gallon -- but it seems to work just fine with the gallon jar covered by the towels. 12 hours later, I put it in the fridge. Once it has cooled, I have the most amazing, thick yoghurt -- even unstrained, it is almost as thick as the commercial Greek yoghurt, and the flavor is simply amazing -- smooth and creamy, with just a tiny bit of tartness. Yum! It lasts me about 1 to 1-1/2 weeks.
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »
Awake-----very interesting----at about what temp does the yogurt maker keep the milk?
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »
I haven't actually measured the temperature, in part because I have read (and discovered) that it is best to disturb the curd as little as possible until it has thoroughly cooled ... but based on how the jar feels when I remove it from the maker, I would estimate that it holds between 110 - 120º F -- just right for thermophilics.

The yogurt maker that I am using is a Euro Cuisine YM80 -- about as basic as they come, and one of the cheapest as well -- about $21 on Amazon.

The glass jar is this one, except in the gallon size: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-1-2-Gal-Heritage-Hill-Jar-with-Cover/17043674

Obviously, any glass jar could work; this one happens to fit into the "well" of the yogurt maker. Before I found this jar, I used a large glass bowl that didn't quite fit -- it still worked (with the towels enclosing it), but it did not feel very stable or satisfactory.

Andy
-- Andy

riha

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »
awakephd, I've made yogurt with several recipes and have gotten very nice yogurt produced without rennet. I'm just experimenting with new methods and recipes. I don't use yogurt maker, but the process is pretty much the same as yours. I just mature mine in a warm place overnight. Although I only do a liter at a time. Anyway, related to the rennet question, I made a batch of yougurt as per instructions in Artisan Cheesemaking at Home. I used three drops of my low-strength rennet and ended up with a bit smaller yield than the book estimates. It's also very thick, almost spreadable. I will make another batch using just one drop next time.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 02:33:45 AM »
I guess I need to try again with a drop or few of rennet -- when I tried a batch with rennet, it was early in my yogurt making, and I don't recall what I used at that point for the culture. I just remember that I was disappointed with the result, feeling that it wasn't any thicker than the other, but did tend to separate more. But as I say, that was a long time ago, before I started getting really consistent results.
-- Andy