Author Topic: I need cheese ideas!!!  (Read 2841 times)

Mermaid

I need cheese ideas!!!
« on: January 29, 2015, 02:03:43 AM »
I have raw jersey cow milk, lots of cheese form shapes, lots of equipment but no press. I don't want to skim my milk. I have made tomme, appenzeller , semi-lactic bloomy rind cheeses, and feta.

Any ideas?
High fat milk, no cheese press.

Thanks!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: I need cheese ideas!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »
Well you could try some tallegios or Epoisses but if you could afford the brandy to wash those you could probably afford a cheese press. LOL  Why not just build one.  The dutch press is a simple design and requires little in the way of tools.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

WovenMeadows

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »
Honestly, the only thing I find I need a press for are cheddar types (colby, jack, farmhouse cheddar, etc). Anything else just stacking some dead weight is fine - most other types don't need more than 2x the weight of the cheese, and the largest a wheel someone at home would make is probably 7-8 pounds (from 7-8 gallons), so that's only 15 lbs needed. Of course, it can be hard to keep a weight well balanced so as not to make an uneven cheese...

Mermaid

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
What kinds of hard cheeses do people make that don't require skimming such a full fat milk, and don't require tons of pressing?

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:47:07 PM »
Mm, you could go for Havarti, Jack, that sort of thing.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 08:12:55 PM »
Really the only thing that comes to mind that you would really want/need to use skimmed milk are big-eyed "swiss" types, and grana types like Parmesan, and to an extent Alpine types. Most anything else just tastes better with more cream :)
I  have raw Jersey milk too, I make a lot of "washed curd" types, since my kids like the soft mild flavors. Gouda, Edam, Havarti, Colby, Jack. Or for my own preferences, alpine types like Gruyere. But I also try just about anything with the Jersey milk. Depending on the fat content too, you might be able to wind up with essentially a "double" Brie, because the fat can be high to begin with without even adding more cream.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 02:09:11 AM »
Blues - Oh I would walk on broken glass for Jersey milk !  I've got a bit obsessed with Blues at the moment.  But no press cheeses - ST Paulin if you use the cloth sandwitched between two boards with a brick on top.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Mermaid

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
Wow thanks everyone for such great replies!

Frodage

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 12:34:54 AM »
Hey Mermaid, why not try this gorgonzola dolce? Fat OK, no press OK. I'm making my second go right now.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/GorgDolce.html

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 08:48:31 AM »
It will make good camembert or brie.
- Andrew

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 08:03:56 PM »
Why not just build one.  The dutch press is a simple design and requires little in the way of tools.
I'd agree with Al...so easy to just attach a long 2x4 to a garage stud and attach another smaller piece of wood near the end of that 2x4 to act as a ramrod/plunger/piston. For weight, hang a gallon jug filled with water on the end of the 2x4. Ta-da! A cheese press!  ;)

I know once upon a time that John (Webmaster) laid a ladder across his cheese mould to press it. See the pic.

My choices for sweet, whole-fat Jersey milk: Tomme, Montasio, Tilsit, Esrom, Saint Paulin, Reblochon. Yum!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Mermaid

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
Boofer- thank you for all those ideas and the photo of your press doo-dad. AC4U