Author Topic: Lancashire--make notes---pics---problems  (Read 2932 times)

qdog1955

Lancashire--make notes---pics---problems
« on: January 30, 2015, 12:57:52 AM »
Lancashire----200 Easy Cheese  Recipe-----Modified by MrsKK
Decided I wanted to make a simple short aged cheese, and this seemed ideal. Below you will find the make notes and a few pics. You will also see some problems I ran into----so any help with those would be appreciated. And it didn’t turn out to be all that simple.
Also checked ph throughout make and noted them----even though recipe has no ph markers
Qdog
3 gallons whole P/H milk
1 gallon 2% P/H milk
1 tsp. cal.chlor.
2.8 ml rennet
1 1/3 cups cultured butter milk
3 tbs salt

9:10---Warm milk to 88 degrees----maintained through entire make----ph 6.68
9:11 add butter milk
10:00  add cal. Chl. In ¼ cup water-------ph 6.49
10:04  add rennet
Floc.---13 min. x 3.5 floc. Factor-----exactly corresponds to 45 min. wait time of recipe
10:49   check for clean break----good to go ---I thought
10:50 cut curd to 3/8” sq.-----seemed a little soft----see notes at bottom
10:56    let rest 5 min.
11:01   stir curds for ten min.----rest another 5 min.--------ph at 6.39
11:17   drain into cloth lined colander-------whey will barely drain through cheese muslin-----had to twist and hang and squeeze------see notes below
12:00  curds in pot to form cake
12:15   flip whole cake over---------6.48  ?
12:30   cut in half and stacked
12:45   removed cake to cutting board and cut to 1/2” sq.----into bowl and salted
1:05    into 6” cloth lined mold at ten lbs. for 20 min. until whey stoped dripping
1:30    flipped----increase weight to 20 lbs. until whey stopped dripping
1:55    flipped ----weight up to 42 lbs. for 1 hour
2:55    flipped----weight up to 174 lbs.-----for 4 hrs.  -------ph at 6.02  ?
7:00    remove from press to air dry------------------------------ph at 5.50 ?  half hour later, back to 6.02
Weight out of press---4 lb. 9 oz.  ---much to heavy for a 4 gallon make-----my guess it retained to much whey
Now for some of the problems
#1    this had the nicest curds I have ever had with a p/h milk----at least on the top----when I cut the curds there appeared to be about an inch to an inch and a half of what looked like the texture of yogurt, as if the rennet hadn’t set the milk at the bottom-----never had this happen before-----any ideas? This led to some of the other problems, I think
#2    the whey would barely drain through the muslin, I think the “yogurt” clogged the muslin and may have led to even more whey retention
#3    due to night temperatures approaching single digits----my cheese room was down to 57 degrees---almost to my cheese cave temp-----this required some emergency temp. control at the press----an old enamel canner got some roof defrosting cable wrapped around it and a temp controller kept the inside at about 75 degree-----don’t laugh ---it worked---might have to consider making a permanent one (see pics) may have been to late ----curd had gotten pretty cold---but finally got a good knit at +5psi
#4    notice the ph was all over the place towards the end----I don’t know what is going on there---it was calibrated and verified three times during the make.
  It is possible that the milk was at least part of the problem---It seems to me that I had trouble with this brand of milk before---but it was quite some time ago, when I was just starting out and I figured it was just my inexperience ---maybe not.
Any thoughts—guys and gals?

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Lancashire--make notes---pics---problems
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:51:50 AM »
Nice last minute heating solution - good thinking... :-)

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:07:52 PM »
Thanks Danbo----"necessity is the mother of invention" or inovation. The cheese had a slight elephant foot this morning---to much whey retention---in my experience so far, that usuallly ends up a bitter cheese :(----wait and see----any idea what caused the cream cheese yogurt stuff in bottom of vat?
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:21 PM »
Nothing to do than wait... I messed up a cheese yesterday - a cheddar with Madeira (should have been Port)...

I haven't got a clue regarding the cream cheese stuff in the bottom of the vat. Strange... Was the rennet mixed right?

:-) Danbo

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 10:53:23 AM »
 As far as I know the rennet is fine ----I did lower the amount by just a little as my last three makes floced  in 7 to 8 min.----this floc seemed right on. Was hoping some one on here could help----but only silence from the cheese gallery.
  Is there a difference between the two types of booze? Or did something else go wrong---or, are you as clueless as me?
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 01:14:31 PM »
I'm one big questionmark.  :o

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
Qdog (or should that be qDog? :)), did you dilute the rennet in some distilled (or at least non-chlorinated) water? How, and how much, did you mix it in - stirring around, or moving the perforated ladle up and down?
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 08:46:11 PM »
Awake----I always mix my rennet in a 1/4 cup of distilled water and then use the up and down (more or less) stirring motion. This is probably the first time I have ever had real nice curds that didn't shatter from p/h milk----but the recipe doesn't call for a lot of stirring----the yogurt, cream cheese like stuff on the bottom 1" of the vat really puzzles me-----I used 2.8 ml of single strength rennet----my previous 2 makes floced at 7 and 8 min. with 3.0 ml, so I dropped to the 2.8---that timing was very consistent with the 45 min. in the recipe----but that stuff on the bottom made the rest of the make difficult---it's just so frustrating when things go wrong and I have no idea why. Any thoughts?

Qdog or qdog---call me what you like---just don't call me late for dinner ;) 

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 01:41:56 AM »
Only thought is that my own experience has led me to conclude that when using P&H milk, trying to get a clear, consistent, and usable reading from the flocc method is an exercise in frustration. :(
-- Andy

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 01:44:52 AM »
Yep. I tried it, and am now just going by clean break again.

qdog1955

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 11:21:33 AM »
The problem is----I had a nice clean break on top-----made two more cheese since this Lancashire and had the same problem-----so I agree with Awake, that the floc method isn't working on the p/h milk-----worked fine on the raw milk-----going back to the timing on the recipe.
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
Strange...