Author Topic: 2nd attempt at Blue, blue mold disappearing?  (Read 4682 times)

ninintothevoid

2nd attempt at Blue, blue mold disappearing?
« on: January 30, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »
Hey, this is my second attempt at a blue cheese, after forming the cheese, there seemed to be a decent amount of blue mold growing on the top and bottom of cheese. I put it in the cheese fridge at 55F and 85% humidity. However, it looks like all the blue mold is disappearing and being replaced by candidum? The curds were inoculated with mold from a tasty Stilton. It also looks like the cheese is drying out despite the humidity. Based on the photo below, is there anything I should worry about? Cheese is being turned every other day. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/AOvxFoi

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: 2nd attempt at Blue, blue mold disappearing?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:14:57 AM »
That looks very dry and forming a crust in the photo. Is it really that dry?
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

LoftyNotions

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »
I agree with Bill. It looks really dry in that picture. Ideally the cheese should be in a mid 90s humidity for mold growth. Try putting it in a covered ripening container with a container of water with some kind of wicking in it to promote evaporation. You should have a light mist forming on the container walls.

Larry

ninintothevoid

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:22:28 PM »
I have a humidifier in the wine cooler, unfortunately I am travelling a bunch this month so I have someone else watching the cheese.  I asked them to turn up the humdity and see what will happen (cheese wasn't dry a week ago).  Its right now sitting in a plastic tupperware container with no lid.  Aside from cranking up the humidity, anything else I should do?  cut away the dry part?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »
Not top worry, here is a picture of the 6 pound Stilton I did.  It turned brown on the outside but turned out great. :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »
I have a humidifier in the wine cooler, unfortunately I am travelling a bunch this month so I have someone else watching the cheese.  I asked them to turn up the humdity and see what will happen (cheese wasn't dry a week ago).  Its right now sitting in a plastic tupperware container with no lid.  Aside from cranking up the humidity, anything else I should do?  cut away the dry part?
I wouldn't cut any off it but, as Larry said, put a lid over the tupperware container. (Leave a little opening at one end. You should start to see it mist up.)
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

LoftyNotions

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 07:01:22 PM »
Like Al said, mold on the outside really doesn't matter, unless you think it does. My Gorgonzolas rarely develop much blue on the outside.

Maybe it's just the photo, but the cheese does look extremely dry. I'd still get the humidity up.

Nice cheese, Al.

Larry

ninintothevoid

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »
I've kept the humidity up in the 90s. Cheese is not as cracked as it looked in the first picture, but it's still dry. Using a cup of water and a paper towel instead of a humidifier.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 08:01:40 PM »
Looks fine.  I keep my humidity right about 85%.  Also sit my blues out at room temp for about an hour a day.

Fundy Mental

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 12:02:29 AM »
Al

after airing them for an hour, do you put them back in the container with the lid on?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 01:17:45 AM »
I don't use containers for blues.  I wrap mine in a single layer of butter muslin and sit them in the cave.  That seems to keep the blue mold to itself and allows the air in the cave to circulate around it.

John@PC

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 09:28:20 PM »
I don't use containers for blues.  I wrap mine in a single layer of butter muslin and sit them in the cave.  That seems to keep the blue mold to itself and allows the air in the cave to circulate around it.
That is an interesting thing to consider.  I assume your using the cloth for mold isolation and not RH control?  I do use mini-caves but more for getting RH higher than my 85% cave.  Just got me thinking about whether disposable poly cheesecloth would be worth trying?  I've got a bunch of the stuff laying around and I may wrap my last blue and my RH datalogger in it to see what happens. 

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 10:33:18 PM »
Well so far my butter muslin wrap has worked fine for mold control.

ninintothevoid

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
The cheese looked even more dried out, so I decided to call it quits and slice it at 7 weeks.  Surprisingly, it isn't as dry as I thought and has some decent blue veining.  It probably would have been better if I aged it another month, but it was pretty tasty and easily spreadable.  I'm going to have to find a better way to control the humidity, even with a bowl of water and a paper towel wick, the humidity varied from 60% to 90%.  My portable humidifier died on me for no obvious reason.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »
That blue looks great!  AC4U!!