Author Topic: Lightening the blue rind  (Read 3748 times)

nettles

Lightening the blue rind
« on: January 31, 2015, 09:25:39 PM »
I'm making blues for the first time with our raw goat milk.  My results have been delicious, but because I want to sell them in the future (we are licensed for aged, raw milk cheeses), I want to have a lighter colored rind that will be more inviting for customers.  Any suggestions?  I am trying scraping the rind at week 3, once the blue gets thick and dark, but don't know if I should wipe instead?  with what and when? I'll try to post a pic...

Thanks!
Rebecca

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Lightening the blue rind
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:39:22 PM »
There are three different PRs you can purchase.  They vary in color, strength of taste, and speed of growth.  You can see them here.  I used the PV strain to get this color.  BTW  I leave my rinds to develop as they will.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:44:41 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

nettles

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:02:49 PM »
Could washing the rind be an acceptable option?

Thanks!

LoftyNotions

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:18:31 PM »
If you do a brine wash, you stand a good chance of developing B. linens. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure everyone would like the result. It's something I like on my blues though.

I think what I've usually seen recommended is scraping. What humidity is your cave running? Getting it down into the 80s might help slow down external blue growth.

Doesn't someone make their blue cheeses by wrapping the cheese with foil and then punching the air passages through the foil? Would that be an option?

Maybe if you post more specifics on your process and some photos we can offer other suggestions.

Larry

nettles

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 04:22:44 AM »
Yes, here are some pictures I just took of my cheeses that have been aging 4-8 weeks.  They are now in the cold storage - 40-44F.  I had them wrapped in there, but then noticed they were getting little black spots where the paper touched the cheese.  I assume that means they were unhappy with the moisture inside the wrapping.

I tried scraping a 3 week old blue today to see how that develops. 

I appreciate any insight you can give me.  All I have to compare it to are commercial cheeses which have a white or orange rind, or no rind at all.  I am getting great internal blue growth and the cheeses of ours we've tried so far are really delicious. I just want to perfect the rind.

Or maybe it's good just the way it is?

Thanks so much,
Nettles

nettles

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:28:25 AM »
Here is a pic of the internal growth:

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:11:16 AM »
Rinds develop with various colors depending upon the various molds present at the time.  B linens are everywhere so they tend to find a place on the rind.  I did a stilton quite a while back and the gorgeous blue that first appeared turned into a multi-colored delight.  Still trying to replicate it.  Bottom line is unless you totally control their environment they will vary from make to make.

nettles

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 02:41:52 PM »
What a beautiful cheese!

When it is time to serve or sell, what should I do to the rind to make it more 'clean' looking? Rub it down with something?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »
Thank you.  I've never sold any of my cheese however, I would think that leaving the rind, which tastes great, would be a better representation of a true artisanal cheese.  Help you jack the price up a bit. LOL

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 07:33:52 PM »
What a beautiful cheese!

When it is time to serve or sell, what should I do to the rind to make it more 'clean' looking? Rub it down with something?

Take a look at this video.  Pay attention to the rind.  It's pretty much the same on all blues.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »
They do like browns and orange :o
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

nettles

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 10:22:03 PM »
Thanks for the help!

nettles

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 01:04:29 AM »
There are three different PRs you can purchase.  They vary in color, strength of taste, and speed of growth.  You can see them here.  I used the PV strain to get this color. 

I have the strain from New England Cheesemaking.  It doesn't specify which strain it is.  Does anyone happen to know?

Kern

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 01:35:08 AM »
Nettles, Remember me as the guy who gave you your first cheese.   ;D

nettles

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 01:54:48 AM »
Thanks!