Author Topic: Process for dry salting  (Read 2201 times)

tnbquilt

Process for dry salting
« on: February 01, 2015, 05:59:52 PM »
In the Caldwell book, she gives percentage amounts for the salt content. I've seen this in a lot of places. I think that the proper method of figuring this is to weigh the curd after you drain it, and then figure out the percentage from that. If you are going for 2% salt then if the curd weighs 70 oz you multiply that by .02 and you get 1.4 oz of salt.

Is this correct? I'm worried about over salting and undersalting the cheese, as I have done both many times.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Process for dry salting
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:47:50 PM »
Well Tammy your math is faultless!  :D  That's what I do.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Frodage

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:31:16 AM »
Hi Tammy,
The only variation that I do (with my vast experience of dry salting two cheeses  ;)) is to weight the wheel after all the flipping (or pressing, if you're pressing) is done. That is the weight that I multiply by 0.02 to get the total weight of salt. So far, I have salted over four days each so whatever the total weight is, I divide that by 4 and use that amount on each of the four days.

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »
I have not salted a cheese by rubbing it after it was pressed. I weigh the curd before it's pressed, and figure the salt, and toss it in the curd. I have been thinking about trying that rubbing the salt on after though. I've been reading a book about making cheeses, not a recipe book but how people made cheeses in the 1800's, and lot of them are salted that way.

I'm going to try that pretty soon. As soon as I get time to make cheese again.

tnbquilt

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »
I'm worried about the difference in the weight of the curd before you press it and after you press it. If the recipe says 2% of the curd weight, I assume that they have allowed for some amount of whey weight, or it's not that scientific. I need to go back and read Caldwell's instructions again to see if I can figure this one out. I hate to over salt or under salt the cheese.

mjr522

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:03:03 AM »
I had this same discussion with my friend the other day.  Since she's calling for salt prior to pressing, and it's based on weight, it must be the curd weight.  I hoped that the 2% (or whatever it was) took into account the whey lost (and salt along with it) during pressing.  With all this said, I don't know any better than you do, but I hoped with the "mellowing" time enough salt stuck with the cheese despite the whey lost during pressing.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 06:34:41 AM »
Oooohh this is a 'It depends' topic.  The main purposes for salt apart from the obvious taste - aiding in whey expulsion and preservative.  For a milled curd cheddard where the salt is added into the curd, I'd say 2% of curd weight is bang on.  For hand salted Cams - I use the 1 salt grain layer method - in other word just enough to stick on the outside and no more.  For a Caerphilly, I add 1% to the curds and rub salt top, bottom and sides every time I redress the cheese in the press (3 times). So as long as you have enough in to help in preservation its a 'It depends' answer.
Sorry if that is vague.  I like salty Blues but only just Camemberts and bitey Cheddars.

-- Mal   
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

tnbquilt

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:50:52 PM »
I went back and read the recipe again, and it says that you salt to curd weight, and that you lose part of it in the whey. I think she said 2.2% curd weight, and that you end up with 1.7% or 1.9% after you lose some in the whey. I felt better after I read that, and everyone who posted something here had the same kind of theory going on. When you salt does have a lot to do with how much salt.