Author Topic: Year old Gruyere and Swiss  (Read 2071 times)

tnbquilt

Year old Gruyere and Swiss
« on: February 01, 2015, 10:45:49 PM »
Me and my friends have formed a cheese club, and last January we all got together and made Gruyere. We tasted it at 4 months or so and it was really good. We were all standing in my kitchen high fiving each other for all three of the great cheeses we had made.

When we all got together yesterday to make pepper jack, one of the ladies had a piece of hers left that had she had vacuum sealed and put back in her cave. It was absolutely wonderful. The first picture I attached is from May when we first tasted it. It had a beautiful rind. The second picture is my Gruyere from the same day, my rind was slightly darker, but also lovely and the cheese was delicious.

I had a piece of my Swiss cheese that I had made last January as well, and it was also very good. They were both rich and nutty and absolutely amazing. We were all so proud.

I like the Gruyere better than the Swiss, just a personal preference. I plan on making more of that Gruyere and keep it until next December for our Christmas party. It will be marvelous.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:34:03 PM by tnbquilt »

tnbquilt

Re: Year old Gruyere and Swiss
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 11:35:23 PM »
It only shows one picture above, and it is my Gruyere. This is Olivia's Gruyere, the one that was saved for a year. I ate all of mine.

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »
Absolutely wonderful---deserves a cheese!
Qdog

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
Great! And what a good idea to have a cheese club. :-) A cheese more in your basket.

andreark

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 01:15:03 AM »
Beautiful!!  How did you age it and did you vac seal it?  Also, , , whose recipe did you use?

andreark

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:54:17 AM »
Beautiful Tammy, as usual!  AC4U for continued excellence!! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

tnbquilt

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 12:03:38 AM »
I attached the recipes on the first post. I guess they are mine since I made them up by trying other recipes and reading a lot on this forum.

When we first made the cheeses, we put them in the cave at 55 degrees and 85% humidity. We washed them for 10 days with a wine, salt water solution that is on that recipe. Then we aged them in the cave for 4 months. After we cut into them, we vacuum sealed what was left in 3 different packages. Olivia had a package of her Gruyere left.

I didn't vacuum my Swiss though, I waxed it when it was about 6 months old. I don't have much luck with vacuum sealing, it always has too much moisture in it, turns pink and tastes like dirt when I open it. I was amazed at how good the Gruyere was when it had been vacuum sealed.

Cheese club is fun. We meet every 2 or 3 months and make cheese. Sometimes we all make the same one, sometimes we all make something different. And we hardly ever all show up.

GoudaGirl13

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:24:50 AM »
What a beautiful cheese!! :)
I'm giving you a cheese.
I will have to tr a gryere sometime....
:)