Author Topic: Stilton Blue Success  (Read 3435 times)

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
Stilton Blue Success
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:41:54 AM »
Came out creamier than I expected.  It's absolutely delicious and quite roqueforti stinky.  In fact my family was quite distressed while I sliced it. 

2g Whole milk (generic supermarket P/H)
2c heavy cream (UHTP)
1/4 tsp p. Roqueforti
1/2 tsp MM100
8 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp CaCl
1/8 tsp powdered calf rennet

After draining curds overnight, I cut them into 1" cubes and set them into two camembert molds.  I got nice blue showing after about 5 days at room temperature.   Then into cave for 2 weeks, then piercing and smoothing the outside with brine-soaked cheesecloth, then a couple more weeks. 

I'm letting it sit at room temp now to dry out the rind a bit, then vac-bagging one of them.   

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 05:27:56 AM by pastpawn »
- Andrew

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Stilton Blue Success
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:14:39 AM »
Looks perfect! :-) AC4U

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:19:32 AM »
Looks perfect! :-) AC4U

Thanks!  It's not the big monster you're making.  My next one will be a Goliath I hope (and good luck with that). 
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »
Oh not you don't get away that easily - AC4U ! but you have to make those again - they look like my Hockey Puck. well done they look wonderful.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

LoftyNotions

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »
Well done. AC4U

Larry

Penny C. Liam

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
Nice pics, thanks for that. 

How long did you age it?

How did you remove the mold on the outside of the cheese? Scrape?  Wash with brine?

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 06:12:49 PM »
Nice pics, thanks for that. 

How long did you age it?

How did you remove the mold on the outside of the cheese? Scrape?  Wash with brine?

I made this cheese on Jan 4, so you can see it's young.  You'll have to take my word for it though, it's very good right now.  I'm going start hitting one of them now and save the other for a month or 2 or 3 to see how it changes. 

I should point out that I fermented at about 63F (I was fermenting a bunch of ale at the same time, same fridge).  That might explain the quick maturation of the cheese. 

My intent was to use a plastic paint scraper / putty knife to smooth the outside, but after a mild scrubbing with the the brined cloth it was good enough.  My next cheese I'll do a better job of smoothing earlier in the process just so it doesn't look so darned homely. 
- Andrew

qdog1955

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 08:37:17 PM »
That's one beautifully ugly cheese----it looks sooo good. AC4U
Qdog

Penny C. Liam

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 10:00:09 PM »
I am in the process of making a blue or two and they definitely look a lot like yours.  I don't know whether it's possible to smooth them out more earlier on because, as far as I can figure out, and please correct me, the rough shape is useful in giving the cheese more surface area which favours the roqueforti.  Unless you smooth them out without pressing them to keep the structure of the cheese more porous.

Just thinking out loud here.

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 11:23:30 PM »
I am in the process of making a blue or two and they definitely look a lot like yours.  I don't know whether it's possible to smooth them out more earlier on because, as far as I can figure out, and please correct me, the rough shape is useful in giving the cheese more surface area which favours the roqueforti.  Unless you smooth them out without pressing them to keep the structure of the cheese more porous.

I think the rind of the cheese is like your own skin, it protects the cheese from unwanted infection.  All those nooks and crannies on the outside are harbors for unwanted bacterial and fungal growth - the air is full of this stuff.  By having a smooth surface and periodically brushing with brine, you can limit the growth in the cheese to only what you added inside the wheel. 

The PR mold will get started inside.  There's already a bit of available oxygen in the cheese and plenty of lactose to feed on.  Once it's developed a healthy population throughout, the cheese is much more resistant to alien invaders, and only then it's safer to pierce the protective rind and introduce more O2.  I suspect this is why the recipes don't pierce immediately, and instead wait for a week or two. 

I made all of that up, but it sounded good I think.   Thoughts?
- Andrew

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »

They don't get pressed.  You should smooth them when you remove them from the mold. :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Penny C. Liam

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 12:05:09 AM »
That makes sense.  Thanks.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 01:51:09 AM »
If you haven't already, watch this video on making Stilton and note the times and actions taken.  Also note the rind on the Stiltons at maturity.  It answers most of the questions asked about Stilton, and other blues. :D

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 01:59:05 AM »
If you haven't already, watch this video on making Stilton and note the times and actions taken.  Also note the rind on the Stiltons at maturity.  It answers most of the questions asked about Stilton, and other blues. :D

Not only have I watched it, but I've reposted it elsewhere!  I did note their process and "rubbing up".  I'm doing that next time!
- Andrew

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 02:03:27 AM »
H-K-J also posted a great video on rubbing up a stilton.