Author Topic: First Manchego  (Read 4764 times)

Zinger

First Manchego
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »
Decided to try a Manchego.

I used Ricki Carroll's recipe and was able to stay very, very close to temperature recommendations as I slowly brought the temp up to 102 degrees. This can sometimes be a challenge for me.

This is how it looked out of the brine.

thegregger

Re: First Manchego
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »
Z:

Your Manchego looks great.  How long did you brine it for?  How long are you planning to age it?

Greg

Zinger

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »
I brined 8 hours, even though the recipe called for 6 hours - I didn't want to get up that early in the morning. ;D

I hope to age it 3 months - well at least 2 months -okay 1 month.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:57:57 PM »
nice looking Manchego! I have one that is out of the brine two weeks now. I too used that recipe. Which mold did you use, and what amount of weight for pressing?

Zinger

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:17:33 PM »
I am using a mold that is actually 6 1/2 inches.

The recipe called for 15lbs. followed by 30lbs. Following Wayne's advice to increase psi for the larger mold. I used 20lbs and then 40lbs. This wouldn't be as heavy as Wayne suggests when going to the larger molds, but I was a bit chicken to go as heavy as he suggested - sorry Wayne.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 10:48:46 PM by Zinger »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »
It looks very nice zinger!

Rich

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:46:11 AM »
Your wheel looks wonderful.  I've made several Manchegos.  They are quite amenable to flavorings and additives.  My favorite at the moment is hickory smoke.  But I do admit its not been possible to age one longer than a week.  Its just too tempting to cut into, and they have a wonderful mild flavor when young.

Zinger

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:56:16 AM »
Hey Rich, a Smoked Manchego sounds interesting. Would you share the process with me?

chilipepper

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Zinger,  That Manchego looks very nice.  This is surprisingly one of the house favorites at my place.  I'm not sure why as it is fairly pungent but my kids always gravitate to it when I bring out several cheeses.  I like these somewhat young and if you can hit the 2-3 month mark they are really worth it.  The 'old' stuff in the stores is good in its own right but it is nice to taste a younger example of this cheese. 

If you are interested in smoking there is a really simple method that I found here.

Ryan

Zinger

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 04:58:52 PM »
Ryan, Thanks for the link, I"ll probably try that after I've done a couple Manchegos and tasted them to verify at least some level of success.

Rich

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 11:08:53 PM »
I've heard of the cold smoking method; but I have not used it yet.  The absolutely easiest way is to go to the supermarket and get a bottle of liquid smoke.  For a 4 Gal. batch I use 1 1/2 Tbsp, diluted in 1/4 cup cool water, added after ripening and just before adding rennet.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 09:18:14 PM »
A coffee can, some wood chips and a soldering iron with a box placed on top can be used as a cold smoker. Poke a few small holes around the can and the box for air circulation and your good.

eVenom

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 11:15:05 PM »
I will open my first manchego today even thou I have 10 more days to go but I am tired of waiting also it don't even look too good and its feels harder than a rock

So I Will crack it open tonight and will put the results on my Thread so be sure lo check it out

sorry to hijack your tread Zinger but is this tread that made me think about it!

Zinger

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 11:34:14 PM »
Not a hi-jack Venom, I look forward to your results.