Author Topic: When to start washing natural rinds  (Read 2306 times)

Mermaid

When to start washing natural rinds
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
I have been making hard pressed cheeses and the recipes say to wait 7-10 days for a "smear " to form before washing with a light brine.

What does that mean? "Smear"?
 Currently my cave is cold- it's winter- about 45-48 degrees. BRR. All I see on my cheeses' surface at 7-10 days is maybe some salt crystals on the surface of the cheese, maybe some geo ? After two weeks I'm getting a brown/black mold in small spots.

When to start washing and how often? Thanks!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: When to start washing natural rinds
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
That's rather strange as the "smear" occurs after you start washing the cheese.  See here.     Read about it here.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Mermaid

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 04:46:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Yeah that's what I assumed a smear was but it seems the recipe is referring to something different. I've been drying the cheeses for 2 or 3 days before moving to the cave. When should I start washing cheese for rind formation ?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
Here is what Alpkäserei told me when I first learned to do washed rind cheeses. He did an entire thread on it. 

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 04:16:07 AM »
Yes, that's a lovely treatise.

Another thing to add that he notes elsewhere is that when you brush, on a smaller cheese, you try not to add too much liquid. See, the first washed/smear-ripened cheeses I made the brush got dipped in. This results in a stinkier cheese. But if you don't want it to be super linensy, just add a little bit of water once you've gotten the smear established.

Mermaid

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 05:24:14 PM »
All helpful info- thanks!
I'm trying to make natural rinds without the linens- should I just be brushing and never washing?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 05:29:24 PM »
If you want to keep the linens off, not sure that's entirely possible, then brush only. O0

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 07:38:34 PM »
Some people, and I have tried this once, take a brine and just rub it on twice a week with fingers, and then let it dry. It does discourage mold summat.

Stinky

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:17 PM »
Some people, and I have tried this once, take a brine and just rub it on twice a week with fingers, and then let it dry. It does discourage mold summat.

A clarification here: For linens, mild brine with just a little salt. For not linens, put in more salt than that. And don't leave it wet like you would a washed rind.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 03:27:07 PM »
I mix 2/3 cups 18% brine with 1/3 cup of white wine.  I mist it on with a spray bottle and then wipe lightly with a paper towel.  Very seldom do I get mold growth doing this and, if I do, I just brush lightly before wiping.