Author Topic: Second January Parm (8 Gallon)(1/28/15)  (Read 6865 times)

LoftyNotions

Second January Parm (8 Gallon)(1/28/15)
« on: February 03, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
My 5 gallon parm was too thin when pressed in an 8 inch mould, so I decided to try my first 8 gallon make. All of my previous cheeses have been heated in a double boiler over a gas cooktop. This make was my first using direct heat. I felt like my first batch might have been slightly over-cooked, so I worked on speeding up the process this time. The recipe was the same as for the first make, only scaled up.

Ingredients

8 gallons 2% pasteurized non homo milk
2 cubes TA61
8 cubes LH100
1/2 teaspoon lipase powder
2 teaspoon  calcium chloride
96 drops rennet
Dry salt to 2-1/2 to 3%

1.   Add CaCl
2.   Warm milk to 94F and add culture once there.
3.   Let ripen until pH drop of 0.05 to 0.1, maintaining temp at 94F. (Start pH was 6.61. After ½ hour, pH was 6.56).
4.    Add lipase dissolved in 1/4th cup water.
5.    Dilute rennet in 1/4th cup R/O water and add after ripening.
6.    Using 2 floc multiplier cut curds after 26 minutes from the addition of rennet. (13 minute floc time).
7.    Cut curds initially to 1/2 inch and rest 5 to 10 minutes then stir with a whisk reduce to lentil sized pieces.
8.    Remove approximately 2-1/2 gal whey for easier heating. (The bailer I use to remove whey is an Oxo fat separator/strainer. See pictures. The best device I’ve found to date for removing whey).
9.   Heat curds and whey to 130F fairly quickly…30 minutes would be optimum. Keep stirring to distribute heat. (This took about 25 minutes. A lot faster than with a double boiler).
10.  Once you have reached the desired temp, maintain temp until curds begin to clump together. The final curd needs to be dry, but not so dry that they do not hold together when pressed. (Curds were clumping, so even though pH was 6.49, I decided to settle the curd).
 11.  Settle pH target 6.45. Drain target 6.4. 
12.   Consolidate settled curds with mat and hand pressure. Gather into cloth.
13.   Transfer to warmed mould.
14.   Press under warm whey at 1/2 psi for 30 minutes. Flip and rewrap, press for another 30 minutes.
15.   Remove whey, flip, rewrap and press at 2 psi for 30 minutes. Flip, rewrap and press for another 30.
16.   Flip, rewrap and press at 4 to 5 psi for 12-16 hours.
17.   Weigh cheese and start dry salting. (Weight 2900 grams 2-1/2% salt = 72 grams).
18.   Continue dry salting until salt is used up (1 to 2 days).

Affinage:
Age at 50°F to 55°F and 85-90% humidity. Flip cheese daily for the first couple weeks and then once weekly thereafter. After 1 month rub rind with oil. Repeat a couple times. Plan to bag at 3 months.
If mold appears on the rind, wipe off with a cloth dipped in a vinegar-salt solution.

Notes:

I sped up this make from the first based on a concern that the first was slightly over-cooked. The first make was never sticky during pressing. This one was REALLY sticky. One of the early pressing photos shows the ragged edges from pulling the cloth off. From that point on, used a vinegar wipe at each flip and flipped every half hour for about 3 hours.

The first Parm came in at a 7.9% yield. This cheese came in at 9.2% The differences I can attribute that to are cook time and a different brand of milk. I think both factors had some effect.

Exteriors of both cheeses have been really well formed. The first day of drying for this one was at about 75% RH. I got a couple tiny cracks on 1 side, which I patched with butter. I cranked the RH up to 90% and will keep an eye on it.

Photos to follow.

Larry

LoftyNotions

Re: Second January Parm (8 Gallon)(1/28/15)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 05:45:28 PM »
Pics:

LoftyNotions

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:48:20 PM »
More pics:

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
Wow! Mega-cheese... And it looks fantastic. I really want to make a parmasan soon, after having seen your process. :-)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
Nice! AC4U. But one question -- that seems like an unusually high proportion of LH100 to TA61 -- unless the cubes (presumably ice cubes of a mother culture - yes?) of TA are much more concentrated than the ones of LH -- ??
-- Andy

LoftyNotions

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
Nice! AC4U. But one question -- that seems like an unusually high proportion of LH100 to TA61 -- unless the cubes (presumably ice cubes of a mother culture - yes?) of TA are much more concentrated than the ones of LH -- ??

Hi awakephd,

I'm following some information from Sailor Con Queso regarding the mix of the 2 cultures. Yes, these are ice cubes of mother culture, approximately all the same size.

Here's a link: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2542.msg19913.html#msg19913

And part of the text:
When making Italian types like Parmesan or Romano, I use a blend of 20/80 - 20% TA-61 and 80% LH-100. Because there is less TA-61, the cheese does not acidify as quickly. And because there is much more LH-100, lactose will be broken down much quicker. This allows enzymes, like Lipase, and proteolysis to kick in sooner. Good Italian types depend on a lot of enzymatic activity over the course of several months or more to develop really sharp flavors.

Oh, and thanks for the cheese. :)

HTH,

Larry

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
Great looking parm Larry!  I really need to do one of these.  I keep promising myself but never get around to it.  I keep finding other cheeses to do. LOL ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

LoftyNotions

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
I keep finding other cheeses to do. LOL ;D

Yeah, me too, Al. :) But I figured if I wanted to eat one of these sometime next year I'd better get it done.
Larry

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 11:30:34 PM »
Yeah, this may be my next, unless I get a Manchego mold or do a Tallegio. LOL
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:36:12 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 03:45:11 AM »

Hi awakephd,

I'm following some information from Sailor Con Queso regarding the mix of the 2 cultures. Yes, these are ice cubes of mother culture, approximately all the same size.

Here's a link: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,2542.msg19913.html#msg19913

And part of the text:
When making Italian types like Parmesan or Romano, I use a blend of 20/80 - 20% TA-61 and 80% LH-100. Because there is less TA-61, the cheese does not acidify as quickly. And because there is much more LH-100, lactose will be broken down much quicker. This allows enzymes, like Lipase, and proteolysis to kick in sooner. Good Italian types depend on a lot of enzymatic activity over the course of several months or more to develop really sharp flavors.

Oh, and thanks for the cheese. :)

HTH,

Larry

Very interesting -- thanks! I had not seen that post from Sailor. Something to try for the future ...
-- Andy

LoftyNotions

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »
Here are a couple photos showing the synthetic cheesecloth imprint on the rind.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 05:07:56 PM »
It actually looks really cool... :-)

qdog1955

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 08:32:11 PM »
Is this the same synthetic cloth that Artisan Geek sells in a bag type---claim it can be used as a bag or a cloth for molds?
Qdog

LoftyNotions

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 08:38:51 PM »
Is this the same synthetic cloth that Artisan Geek sells in a bag type---claim it can be used as a bag or a cloth for molds?
Qdog

Yep, that's exactly what it is. It's still in bag form, but I just work it around to a part without seams. Some day I might cut one up, but I haven't had to yet.

I do really like them.

Larry

GoudaGirl13

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 02:16:37 AM »
If you can let it age, you will be so pleased!!!!
I see that you also used Lipase powder. I use that as well and can't imagine what it would be like without. Almost all the recipes I see omit it.

I have about 1 lb left of a 1.5 year old Parm and never made another one to replace it til today!!

That first one is sooooo fabulous.

Nice work!!
:)