Author Topic: Leiden with cumin  (Read 9021 times)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Leiden with cumin
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 06:41:54 AM »
I'm glad to hear. :-)

I promised you a short video on how I pack my cheeses in the moulds. When I started making cheese I just folded the cloth over the cheese, put on the follower and tried to tigthen up the cloth. The problem was that I could only tighten up some of the cloth and it gave some serious marks in the cheese.

I found out that it works better for me if I lay the cloth on to op the mould keeping the fold outside the mould. That way I can tighten the cloth all the way around the mould. First I tighten the sides and then the top.

Maybe this is actually the way you all do this but I made a short video (hope it works) showing the way I do it - it's not rocket science though...

:-) Danbo

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 06:50:25 AM »
Can anyone confirm that the video actually work? My stupid iPad won't show it... :-)

shaneb

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 06:53:19 AM »
Good stuff Danbo! Works fine for me on an android tablet. I do similar but with muslin. All instructions I saw suggested folding over the main cheesecloth under the follower. I found it easier to use a small extra piece around the follower. The top looked much better also.

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 07:13:58 AM »
Hi Shane,

Glad you likied it. Your method has excatly the same result: Less wrinkles!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 08:00:16 AM »
This is the Cheddar from the video. :-)

shaneb

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »
Nice. :-) What do you do with all of this cheese? Are you massive eaters of cheese, or do you share around? And another cheese for you. :-)

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »
Thanks! :-)

I share with family and friends. And most cheeses like time, so I they can just age for a loooong time...

When I want to learn something new I always go all in. I am really into cheesemaking right now (and I think that it will last). It's so exciting every single time a cheese is born - big or small, simple or complicated.

I am actually by nature not very patient. Cheesemaking challenges this. You can't hurry - and then the only thing that I can do is to make a lot of cheese. At the moment I think that I have around 50 kgs of cheese ageing.

I'm still a novice and making a lot of cheese does not per definition make me an expert - I strive to becomming a good amateur. There as so many in this forum that I look up to and I just love to hear all the stories and watching all the amazing pictures.

I love it! :-)

shaneb

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »
Excellent. 50kg.... That is massive. You have very lucky family and friends.

Oh and I'm the same with patience. My plan to overcome this is to make often so that there is always something around the corner coming up ripe.

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 08:39:11 AM »
That's a good plan! :-)

If anyone is planning a trip to Denmark, I'll offer them cheese... ;-)

shaneb

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 08:56:31 AM »
Very nice. :-) Would love to visit Denmark.

Shane

Mermaid

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2015, 12:15:17 PM »
Danbo- the video isn't working on my iPhone - I will try it on my MacBook later. Thank you so much for making a video! I love to travel and Denmark is certainly on my wish list!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
I really love to go to both Australia and the US - and a lot of other places....... But who is going to babysit my cheeses?   :o

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »
I have software that can convert to/from a variety of video formats -- if you can't get it to work on your Macbook, or if anyone else needs a different format, I'll be happy to help.
-- Andy

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2015, 05:41:55 PM »
Thanks Awakephd, you're very helpful. :-)

LoftyNotions

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 05:54:35 PM »
A cheese for the nice video. I've found that I don't even need to fold the cloth over the top of the cheese. I've never had problems with curd sticking to the follower.

Your demo of how to pull up the sides of the cloth is excellent. I was just trying to explain that concept in my Parm thread. I'll point to this video.

Larry