Author Topic: Another shot at Wine Cheese  (Read 5531 times)

Zinger

Another shot at Wine Cheese
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »
Tomorrow I am going to try my second attempt at a Wine Cheese (that is if something "frivolous" like my job doesn't get in the way). The first attempt did not knit well as seen in this post. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1320.0.html

This time I will adjust my pressure as recommended by Wayne Harris. Also, I might use a Derby recipe. Finally, I am going to introduce my wine into a ricotta from a previous making and then press the now infused "Wine Ricotta" mixed with my Derby curds.

Should be interesting.

Tea

Re: Another shot at Wine Cheese
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
Can't wait to see this one Zinger.  What wine are you going to use?

Zinger

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:51:15 PM »
Probably a Cabernet Sauvignon, I have an inexpensive one in my wine cellar. I know that I should probably use a quality wine for a quality outcome, but let's face it, I am still in the experimental stage. If I master this cheese then I'll use a better wine. Til then, I'll keep the good ones for sipping.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 12:22:52 AM »
Good luck Zinger!

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »
I can't wait to see your results.  I was a bit iffy with the Derby cheese when I tasted it after just a couple of weeks, as it didn't seem to have much flavor.  Then the chunk I had in the fridge (in a ziploc) went sour within 2 days, so it got tossed to the pigs.

I just tasted it again and was VERY pleased.  It was mellow in flavor and hard in texture.  Much harder than a cheddar, it was nicely moist.  It grated really well and melted well in a grilled cheese sandwich, too.  I think this will be my stock cheese when my cow is in milk again!

chilipepper

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:19:35 PM »
Zinger, I like the Wine Ricotta theory.  Kind of goes back to the 'mortar' discussion that John brought up in one of my original posts on the subject.  I think that there is a need for some sort of segregation between the saturated and non-saturated curd.  For Cahill's to get that level of color out of their cheese they have to mix some curd with the wine/beer and control the color.  Carter also suggested making a reduction of the wine/beer too so that is also a possibility to intensify the color component as well.

Good luck and I look forward to your progress!

Ryan

Zinger

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 05:55:05 PM »
I thought about doing a reduction of the wine, but was afraid of what it might do to the wine. My level of intelligence along those lines is a bit lacking, so I am staying away from that route - at least this time.

Zinger

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 09:31:47 PM »
Well my Derby wine cheese is in the press. I decided to do a wine reduction instead of introducing my wine straight into the ricotta. After reducing it to 1/2 it's original consistency, I let it come back to room temperature and then blended it into the ricotta. I then layered the wine ricotta with my curds as I put them in the hoop.

My curd coming out of the pot was softer than I had experienced with a traditional cheddar recipe. I don't know if that is because of the recipe or other variables in the process. I did wait beyond the recommended time for the curds to set because it did not appear as firm as I would have liked. Also, the total volume of the cheese was greater, I'm sure as a result of the wetter curd.

I used heavier weights to accommodate using a 6 inch hoop instead of a 4 inch hoop that the original Derby recipe called for as suggested by Wayne. BTW, I worked off a Derby recipe from Ricki Carroll.

It will come out of the press in about six hours. I"ll post further comments and a picture at that time.

chilipepper

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:56:36 PM »
Sounds good.   How did you feel the reduction worked overall?  Did it really intensify the color component added?  Did you notice or taste (I taste everything ;D ) any off flavors from the reduction process?  Will be curious to see how this worked!

Ryan

Zinger

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:11:10 PM »
Ryan,

The reduction went well. Of course when adding it to the ricotta, it pretty much liquefied the ricotta. Actually it's consistency was a very thick liquid. I used one cup of wine (which became 1/2 cup) to a half cup of ricotta. Next time I will double that. Upon viewing the cheese after I flipped it in the press the first time, I already know that I need more ricotta mixture.

It did intensify the color when I checked it after the first press, but that might blend more into the cheese thus lightening the color after further pressing. I"ll let you know. It definitely is not going to have the same look as Cahill's but what I saw last night was okay. It had a nice look.

I did taste the reduction and the "wine ricotta" mixture. Both times I was pleased with the taste.

BTW, I used a Malbec, only because that is what I had in my cellar that was "low end" on the price level.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:44:59 PM by Zinger »

Zinger

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »
Here it is, a picture of the Wine Derby.

It looks great, but it is quite wet. I don't know if this indicative of a Derby Cheese or an issue with not waiting long enough for a curd set. I suspect the latter.

chilipepper

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 04:12:24 PM »
Looks quite nice.  I will be interesting to see how this looks when you cut into it. It looks like you definitely go the color concentration from the wine reductions.  Just from the outside it looks like the wine/ricotta mixture kind of pooled rather than getting the veining.  I wonder if more of your wine mixture would have been needed? 

Anyway, very good work and I appreciate your taking this on! Keep us posted.

Ryan

Zinger

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »
No it didn't pool. What happened is, I took the wine ricotta and layered it with the new cheese as I loaded the hoop. I didn't mix it before putting it in the hoop, because I didn't want to have blend it into the curds thus giving the whole cheese a pale red look instead of a delineation between red and white. The area of the cheese that shows white (the top) doesn't show red because there is a layer of wine ricotta there but I neglected to spread  out to the edges. I did spread it on the next layer, that is the red you see on the lower area of the cheese. That was an ill conceived idea, the next time I will just blend it. I will probably increase the quantity of the wine ricotta as well.

chilipepper

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
Ahh... that makes sense! ;D   I can see that now..  I hope this ages gracefully for you.  How long are you planning on aging?  Will you wax it or let it create a natural rind?

Ryan

Zinger

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »
I think that I will wax this, since it is already salted and I wouldn't want to add more salt through a brine. As to how long until I eat it; good question, I hope to wait three months but we'll see.

I'm new at this and made my first cheese a little over a month ago. So far I've stayed away from eating any of them, but my will to wait is waning.