Author Topic: Something keeps stirring around in my mind - Rennet Stirring Method?  (Read 2678 times)

Zinger

After adding rennet, the instructions always tell you to stir in an up and down motion. It's probably a trivial question, but I always wonder, as I do that, why an up and down motion is important. It seems to me that it probably has to do with being sure that the rennet gets distributed on all levels of the milk, however an up and down motion is not stipulated when adding culture or calcium chloride.

Rich

Re: Something keeps stirring around in my mind - Rennet Stirring Method?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »
I'm with you on that question.  Doesn't seem to make sense to me either.  As long as you agitate a liquid, you will achieve an even distribution.  Suppose we ought to rebel??

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:14:26 PM »
The rennet incorporation approach actually differs with the size and shape of your container, but the underlying principles are the same. Specifically, you must stop the movement of milk before coagulation begins.

If you swirl the rennet in, you would need to counter-swirl in order to stop it and bring the milk to rest. In the meantime, the micelles are forming longer and longer strands to make curd. Kinetic motion at the molecular level result in a non-uniform coagulum. That is, if the milk is moving while it coagulates, you will have pockets of whey and possibly cracks. This in turn results in uneven curd because when you cut the curd, the water volume in each piece may differ. And then when you cook the curd, the whey loss rate will differ. And when you press the curd, you may have pockets with higher water content. Also, you may have bleaching due to acid pockets.

With cheese, all small changes in time, process, ingredients are compounded over time.

It's not the end of the world if you stir in a circle, but make sure you stop the milk movement as quickly as you can. Or, just stir up and down :)

BTW, rennet addition and stirring can take as long as 5 mins in large vats. Key is to distribute rennet evenly with as little movement as possible.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:56:30 AM »
I have always assumed that a "top-stir" was done to ensure that any cream that might have risen during the heating and ripening phase, would be mixed back into the milk.  This would explain to me why raw milk requires a longer "top-stir".

Zinger

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the education, it makes sense now.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 02:16:57 AM »
Hi Wayne,

Yep, totally true for the top stir in terms of mixing in the cream. But the top stir happens only when the time to coagulation exceeds 5-8 minutes. And that time to coagulation depends on the recipe.