Author Topic: Anyone Interested in a tour of Switzerland?  (Read 2583 times)

Alpkäserei

Anyone Interested in a tour of Switzerland?
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:15:08 AM »
I will be in Switzerland this spring, some time in April to mid or late June. I am there mostly for reasons related to my other business (I build log and timber frame buildings. and also I do quite a bit of writing on the subject) But of course, I will also be taking some some to visit some cheesemakers and try some new cheeses, and I will be spending time on the Alp. if things work well, I will help to drive the cows up to the Alp.

SO I would like to extend the opportunity to cheesemakers and fans of cheese to spend a few days with me in Switzerland touring cheesemakers, cheese shops, and the important cheese regions.
How in depth this is depends on the feedback I get back. I will start with forum members here, and maybe extend the opportunity to a broader audience.
It would be nice of course to take everyone to visit the Alp Vorder Rüderigs but that depends on whether they wish to hike up an over a mountain to get there!

Possible stops would include:

A visit to the 'Schaukäsereien' or exhibition cheese factories. Particularly in the Emmental. If the participants want to spend the money, I can also arrange for us to take in a demonstration here of the process as it used to be done.
Also the Schaukäserei Appenzell and Schaukäserei Engleberg are possibilities.
A visit to one (or likely several) Alp, a farm on a high mountain pasture where the 'Alpkäse' is made during the summer months. If we go in June, we would catch the very beginning of the Alp season. We could visit an Alp in the Berner Oberland, Central Switzerland, and the Gruyere region, as an example.
A visit to some small village cheesemaker(s)
And of course, we would stop in at every cheese shop. This alone would be worth the tour.

I could easily arrange 5 to 8 days. This all depends on the people. I would like to get a group of 12 to 15 people.

Besides the cheese, of course this will be the Alps in the spring, so it is a wonderful time when the mountains are very beautiful and everything is very green and full of life. There will be plenty of plenty of opportunities to hike for those that enjoy it. I don't plan to make a schedule that is terribly full so that people could be free to enjoy free time.

I hope this is an opportunity that you all on these forums would be interested in. I would love it if I could get together a group from here, people I have talked and shared with, people I have helped and who have helped me.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Anyone Interested in a tour of Switzerland?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 01:58:24 AM »
A very generous offer my friend.  I toured Switzerland in 1972 and loved it.  Beautiful country but very vertical. LOL  Sorry but I won't be available to make this one. :(
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

WovenMeadows

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
That is just "wow". Do you have a thought on what the daily costs might average out to (say, lodging, meals, and any tour-type costs)?
And what would be the best airport to fly into? You piqued my interest so, I was comparing, and it looked to me like Zurich and Geneva flights were a bit cheaper than those to Bern, which is probably closer.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:22:05 AM »
Would love to go and in fact have been looking for a cheese-centric tour. Problem is, I have my vacation time planned out for the year and don't get my vacation time renewed until July.  :(

Susan

Alpkäserei

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:44:42 AM »
Cheating is always a definite option.  ;)

Unfortunately, very unfortunately really, I have to be back in the US by the end of June.

As for daily costs, that is really pretty hard to say at this point. It all depends on what people would want to do. SO for example, there are like 5 Schaukäsereien that we can visit and at most you can watch the cheesemaking for free. But then, they have other activities you can do that cost money. These are a flat rate for a group, so that means more people will make such costs lower

As for other costs, maybe we can say 10 CHF per person per day for food if we are buying our own stuff and preparing it ourselves. That might make it worth it if we can get a cook along with us or share cooking responsibilities among the group. Restaurants are very expensive and so I'd leave it up to individual discretion if you want to eat at a restaurant or not. Its not like the US where you have places you go to get a casual meal.
Lodging will depend on what people want to do. We could stay in a hostel for anywhere from 10 to 50 franks a night or in a hotel or guesthouse for anywhere from 25 to 200 CHF or even more.

For travel, there is a wonderful thing called the Swiss Pass. You can get a ticket that lets you use all the trains, buses, boats, and admition to many museums all for a one time expense. So this would make getting around very easy.

I fly to Zurich. Bern airport is really not a big international airport so usually you would want to go to Zurich. They have a nice new airport there too. Geneva is too far from anything.

The best bet is to fly to Zurich and then hop on a train. It's possible we could start in Zurich and then go by way of Appenzell, Central Switzerland, Berner Oberland, Emmental, then over to Gruyere and up through Neuchatel and the Jura and back to Zurich. This would hit all the important Swiss cheeses, like Appenzeller, Emmentaler, Sbrinz, some varieties of Alpkäse, Raclette, Emmentaler, Gruyere, Tomme de Fribourgeois, Tete de Moine, to name a few.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 02:53:14 AM »
Just in that simple route, here is a list of major cheeses that you would find:
Tilsiter
Appenzeller
Berner Alp- und Hobelkäse
Bratkäse
Emmentaler
Gruyere
L'Etivaz
Raclette
Sbrinz
Tete de Moine
Vacherin Fribourgeois
Vecherin Mont-d'Or
Schabziger
and various Central Swiss varieties of Alpkäse (Glarner- Urner- Nidwalder- Obwaldner-

Then there would probably be a few... hundred... local specialties.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »
I am going to launch this as an official offer after I work out some details, then I will be posting more info in the 'Events' sub forum for all the official info.

Frodage

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 01:48:54 AM »
I will be interested to see the photos!

Alpkäserei

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 02:19:40 AM »
You can't photograph flavor, my friend  O0

Frodage

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 02:41:45 AM »
Doch, na ja!

Alpkäserei

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 07:09:22 PM »
I've launched this officially.

Here is the official event thread and announcement for it
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13954.0.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:29:06 PM by Alpkäserei »

Mermaid

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:15:53 PM »
Link not working for me :/

Alpkäserei

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 07:29:55 PM »
Fixed
Some weird formatting error