Author Topic: Recipe Clarification  (Read 1722 times)

the_stain

Recipe Clarification
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:30:51 PM »
I'm going to get some dinner and then attempt the Monterey Jack recipe:

http://www.cheeseforum.org/Recipes/Recipe_Monterey_Jack.htm

I'm confused by the directions though.  Specifically, the amounts of salt.

From the ingredients, it looks like 2 portions of salt are needed:

----->  0.06 ounces/1.6 gram & 0.5 ounce/15 gram non-iodized Salt.

But then, step 3 says:

----> Stir 0.015 ounces/15 gram salt into the diluted rennet.

First of all, 15 grams is 0.52 ounces, not 0.015 ounces.   I thought this might mean "put 0.015 ounces of salt in, and take this out of the 15 gram portion you had set aside" but that seems like I'm overthinking it.

Then, step 12 says:

----> Sprinkle 0.5 ounce/15 gram of salt and optional garden herbs, jalapenos etc over the curd and gently mix by hands.

So then I think no, it wants me to put the whole 15 grams of salt in at this point.

Furthermore, step 15 says:

----> Remove the cheese from the press and cheesecloth, lightly apply brine (0.5 ounce/15 gram salt in 0.5 cup/100 ml of water) wash to outside of cheese.

So now it looks like I need TWO "0.5 ounce/15 gram" portions of salt.

At no time, during the entire course of the recipe, am I instructed to do with the "0.06 ounces/1.6 grams" portion of salt.

Help! :)

Tea

Re: Recipe Clarification
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:58:40 PM »
Stain I have made this cheee on a number of occasions.  As I didn't want the cheese to be too salty, I decided to add the 15gr along with some garlic and herbs, and mix through just before moulding.  Then after pressing I did the brine wash as stated.
HTH

thegregger

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:55:02 AM »
Stain:

I must confess that I've never hard of a recipe that calls for adding some salt to the rennet.  I'm curious what that would accomplish.  On a related note, make sure that you dilute your rennet just prior to adding it to the milk.  Rennet begins to lose it's effectiveness rather quickly once it's diluted.

Greg

the_stain

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 01:09:36 PM »
My (admittedly limited) understanding of the process so far, leads me to believe that adding some salt with the rennet might be intended to slow down or halt acidification at that point, as the salt will inhibit the bacteria.