Author Topic: Stinky's Mozzarella #8  (Read 1146 times)

Stinky

Stinky's Mozzarella #8
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:44:23 AM »
Noooone of the others have worked, and this seems promising. It's a new recipe I found that leaves the curds at room temperature for two days before stretching. This sounds much more appealing to me than keeping it at a certain temperature for hours upon hours, especially since that hasn't worked for me. So far, it is looking decent, and a piece of curd in hot water is foldable over itself.

1 gallon whole P/H milk
1/4 tsp. Thermo B
1/4 tsp. CaCl
3/4 tsp. rennet

1:54 Started heating milk
2:06 Reahed 90º F, added 1/4 tsp. Thermo B
3:06 Added CaCl
3:11 Added 3/4 tsp. rennet (in the recipe, though it does seem a tad high...)
4:18 Heat had gone up to 94º, cut to 1-inch cubes
4:33 Stirred some, curds hadn't lost enough whey to settle
4:56 Drained over a quart of liquid, added back 3 cups lukewarm water
5:05 Put in colander, drained until tomorrow.

We shall see!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Stinky's Mozzarella #8
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 06:04:45 PM »
Interesting. I'd be concerned that the pH might go too low -- as I understand it, if it goes too much below 5.1, the curd begins to break up rather than stretch. But I have to admit that my total mozz experience adds up to 4 - three sort-of successes and one abject failure - so take this with a grain of salt!
-- Andy

Stinky

Re: Stinky's Mozzarella #8
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:02:47 PM »
Interesting. I'd be concerned that the pH might go too low -- as I understand it, if it goes too much below 5.1, the curd begins to break up rather than stretch. But I have to admit that my total mozz experience adds up to 4 - three sort-of successes and one abject failure - so take this with a grain of salt!

Don't worry, I'm monitoring the pH, and occasionally testing with a little bit of curd in hot water. It's going down, and hope is rising.

And no grain of salt, please, I'd rather a light brine, perhaps?