Author Topic: Cheesy mashed taters  (Read 2697 times)

thebelgianpanda

Cheesy mashed taters
« on: April 09, 2009, 05:11:32 AM »
So I've been experimenting with mashed taters plus cheese, and the flavor is great, but the problem is that I want to pipe them as a topping.  I can get the piping to release, but I can't get sharp points at the end.  I have been using ziplock bags with a corner cut out as my bag and while it is easy, no-hassle, and fast I don't get the definition in lines I would like.  Any suggestions?

Some example pics are here, though the mash at that point doesn't contain any cheese just cream: http://cheeseaday.blogspot.com/2009/04/tilapia-fish-pie.html

linuxboy

Re: Cheesy mashed taters
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:31:39 AM »
You mean you want to put the taters on top of something and have that be a pretty shape? How about using a pastry/cookie gun? Or a cake decorating bag and appropriate tip?

Tea

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »
You can buy large piping nozzles for this, and they can still be put into a plastic bag like you are doing.
The addition of an egg can also help.

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:58:37 AM »
Once I got the hang of it, getting the individual nodes to separate was easy, but I couldn't make the points sharp.  It tasted amazing and during the final baking the messy point lost some moister and got tighter, but I'm still in new territory.  I'll try an egg or two next time, that sounds delishus :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 05:08:01 PM »
Have you tried spraying a bit of oil on the bag and tip before squishing? Or maybe melted butter?