Author Topic: Cured meats so far this year  (Read 6789 times)

qdog1955

Re: Cured meats so far this year
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »
Danbo----In my humble opinion----this book is the starting  bible on curing meats and sausage----you may not need any other source----though there are others.   http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13946.msg106481.html#msg106481   ----and I don't believe there is anything more complicated in meat then there is in  making cheese---just pay attention to the rules and recopies, and follow the learning curve.
Qdog
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:36:02 PM by qdog1955 »

shotski

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »

I have \ use Rytek Kutas's book as well.

Danbo----In my humble opinion----this book is the starting  bible on curing meats and sausage----you may not need any other source----though there are others.   http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13946.msg106481.html#msg106481   ----and I don't believe there is anything more complicated in meat then there is in  making cheese---just pay attention to the rules and recopies, and follow the learning curve.
Qdog

shotski

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »

Hi John, that is one of the models I have been looking at. At this point I am more inclined to do the window option as the room is only 4' X 8'. I have been wondering about the humidity factor as all units will extract the humidity.

I have a humidifier that keeps it around 80% humidity. This time of year temperature is not an issue but need to figure something out before summer.
I have a portable AC like this one (I think Haier makes it) in my shop because I didn't have a good place for a window unit (we have casements).  The portables are easier to duct but are rather large and take a fair amount of space.  Either way you go you will effectively be putting a 10,000 or so BTU "dehumidifier" in your cave so you may need more humidity pumping to compensate.

shotski

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »
I would really like to try curing meet. A there any books / meat bibles that I should look at? I'm thinking having just a single fridge for meat curing.

Is there a risk of unwanted things in the meat that makes it hard to do on your own?

:-) Danbo

Danbo, there are really only 2 items to deal with.

1) botulism, A small amount of sodium nitrite very effectively inhibits microbes, including botulism bacteria. That is Saltpeter or Instacure #1, or pink salt.

2)Microbes, Salt kills microbes (such as bacteria). When a high concentration of salt is introduced to the outside of the cell membrane, water molecules leave the cell by osmosis. When enough water leaves a bacterial cell, it dies, or at least becomes inactive, and can’t spoil the meat.

http://www.culinate.com/columns/ask_hank/curing_meat

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »
Thank you so much for your advices guys!

I will definately try curing meat - it looks fantastic. Hey, and the you can make a proper homemade tapas with meat, cheese and sour dough bread. Fantastic!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 05:59:14 PM »
Have a look at my blog Danbo.  I put recipes on there for wet curing hams and dry curing bacon.  There's also one for gravlax and pastrami.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:55:26 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

shotski

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 06:32:07 PM »
You have done a great job on building your blog Al.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 06:49:12 PM »
Thanks shotski! You can thank H-K-J for that.  I didn't even know about them until he showed me the one he did and explained how I could build one.  His is much better than mine as he has gone to great lengths to put step by step cheese makes on his.  I just wanted to share some recipes with friends.  Here's H-K-Js.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:43:20 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »
I have (with great interest) already been on your blog numerous times. What a palette of deliciousness... :-)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »
The recipes that say Lou's in front of them are mine.  Lou is my wife's nickname for me.  The others are just things I enjoy making and eating.  Be happy to look up any recipes for you until you can get Kutas' book.  I also have a couple of others I use by Michael Ruhlman and one by Jerry Predika.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 06:35:59 AM »
Hi Al,

Thanks a lot. :-)

John@PC

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 03:00:07 PM »
Hi John, that is one of the models I have been looking at. At this point I am more inclined to do the window option as the room is only 4' X 8'. I have been wondering about the humidity factor as all units will extract the humidity.
.  For that size cave you shouldn't have any problem humidifying with whatever A/C you choose. There's a lot of good options out there now.