Author Topic: Planning my 'Chässpycher'  (Read 874 times)

Alpkäserei

Planning my 'Chässpycher'
« on: February 18, 2015, 07:46:35 PM »
I have been working some time to plan my cheese aging building.

This will be a fairly traditional 'Chäs-Spycher' or cheese aging building (Spycher is a small building where things are stored, usually food of some type. so it might be a granary or a fruit storage building, or where the cheese is kept and aged).
This will be a traditional Berner Oberland type of building, being just like how a building of this sort would be made there.

Here are some pictures of the model I made for this (By the way, in addition to making cheese I also build log buildings and timber frames professionally and design all of these structures with my computer)

So it's just a simple little building.

The walls are 4 inch thick log walls, so it will make it easy to maintain a consistent temperature and humidity year round. The inside walls will be panelled over to satisfy regulations for commercial aging of cheese.
3 of the 4 walls will be lined with shelves, with a capacity for over 8000 pounds of cheese to be aged at a time, about half of a total year's production which should suit my needs, since probably half or more of my cheese will only be aged 2 to 3 months.

This will of course be detached from the facilities where the cheese is produced, located not very far from the existing log structure that houses the cheesemaking room, milk storage, and office.

As you can see, the entire structure is built on an elevated platform. These helps to keep pests like mice out.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Planning my 'Chässpycher'
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 07:55:36 PM »
Impressive! A building worthy of you fantastic cheeses. :-)