Author Topic: Second Cheese Suggestions?  (Read 3270 times)

cindybman

Second Cheese Suggestions?
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:35:13 AM »
Hi!  I am ready to start a cheese and I don't know which kind to make... I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions?  My first creation was a Crême Fraîche Cottage Cheese... I thought it turned out great! (Well, the first batch never worked... turned out I had purchased bad/expired rennet.) Second batch: I was very pleased... my curd-cutting leaves a little bit to be desired; but, overall I thought it was a success.  I don't want to make mozzarella -- I've done the microwave version a few times in the past.

If you have any advice or suggestions, I'd truly appreciate reading them.

Thanks!

Cindy

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Second Cheese Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »
Do you like Feta? No press needed and it's ready to enjoy in a couple of days...

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:55 PM »
Jack? You don't need an actual press, it has a nice short aging time, and tastes good?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:24:25 PM »
You can do baby bries very easy.  Simple recipe and no pressing involved. Very short aging also.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Mermaid

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:39:42 PM »
Feta!

cindybman

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 06:04:17 PM »
Danbo, Stinky, Al Lewis and Mermaid,

Thanks!  I appreciate all the suggestions and I think I'm going to try baby bries!  DingDingDing! We have a winner! :)

Oooh! This is exciting!  BTW, what about pressed cheeses?  I have all my equipment; I'm very fortunate that I was able to convert my laundry room into a cheese making room complete with built-in cooktop, wine fridge/caves, etc.  So, I purchased all the stuff I would need. I'm ready for anything! :) :) :)

All the best,  Cindy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »
Mutschli is a very easy swiss cheese to make that ages quickly and is pressed.  It's the everyday table cheese in Switzerland and not emmentaler which is what we usually call Swiss.  You can wash it with wine or cognac.  I did a thread on the one Alp was kind enough to teach me.  You can find it here.  I also did Epoisses at the same time just because I washed both with cognac and wanted to try a hard and soft washed rind cheese.  It was a very fun and fulfilling experience learning from a professional.  Turns out if you follow their directions you get great cheese!  LOL

cindybman

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »
Al, thanks!  I checked your link and it all looked quite intriguing!  I'll have to go back later to re-read... the brain is not ready for serious stuff until after lunch. :)

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »
Baby Bries are fun to make and it's a good choice. If you have a strong press Buttercheese is a good candidate. It's a mild cheese that are ready after just one month.

:-) Danbo

cindybman

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »
Danbo, thanks!  You just made me hungry... I *love* Butter käse!  I think that's how it is spelled.  I need to go eat lunch. Now. :)

Do you have a reliable butter cheese recipe? 

All the best!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »
You are welcome to take a look on my make notes. Feel free to ask any questions that you might have. And yes, it's spelled Butterkäse. :-)

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13916.msg106093.html#msg106093

I haven't tasted the cheese from this make yet, but I think that it will be as the last one (and that was nice).

:-) Danbo

cindybman

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 08:22:04 PM »
Danbo,

Thanks for the link! I've saved all the information.  My plans for cheese making today and this weekend got messed-up, so I'll have to wait to start. Augh! Want. To. Start. NOW.  :)

Stinky

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 02:05:29 AM »
Oh man, Al, I really want to make Mutschli now. Let's see if it's more important than the other cheeses I've come up with in the next two weeks, which I have planned already. But really. Dericious.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 02:16:27 AM »
It is a fun cheese to make and delicious!

Kern

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 05:00:39 AM »
what about pressed cheeses?  I have all my equipment; I'm very fortunate that I was able to convert my laundry room into a cheese making room complete with built-in cooktop, wine fridge/caves, etc.  So, I purchased all the stuff I would need. I'm ready for anything!

Except for clean clothes, of course!  LOL ;D