Author Topic: Changing the taste of blues  (Read 1208 times)

orion113

Changing the taste of blues
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:06:24 PM »
I just posted my first blue cheese and a couple comments and now I am second guessing myself.  I am assuming that, if I use differant mold sources to start with during the make, the end taste result will depend on that "variety" of mold used.  If I find a blue that I really like the taste of, and if I take a bit of that and make a slurry from it for the make, can I then approximate the taste of the store bought variety i used?  Like I mentioned, I used the PR from NEC and the end product is not exactly the taste I wanted, seemed to me to taste a bit like the low end, cheap, grocery store brands of blue cheese dressing you buy, not a lot of character if that is the correct word.  Not bad really, just not what I was shooting for.  Texture and all I was very happy with, just want to change up the flavor a bit.  Am I on the right track with these thoughts?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Changing the taste of blues
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »
Yes you are.  Read the descriptions of the three different forms of PR on this page.  That may help you find what you are looking for.  There are other things that can change the taste also.  Lipase, type of milk, salting method, initial culture, etc so if you know which cheese you bought at the store you can search for the recipe for that specific blue and go from there.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

orion113

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:21:13 PM »
Excellent, thank you very much for the great tips and the link!!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 10:29:14 PM »
You're very welcome. ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

LoftyNotions

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 04:13:56 AM »
Or see the 6 Danisco varieties in the attached document. :)

Larry

orion113

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 05:13:40 PM »
Nice and again, thanks all very much!

LoftyNotions

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »
There are also a couple CHR Hansen strains listed on artisangeek.com, along with good descriptions of their characteristics. And he sells some of the Danisco varieties.

Larry