Author Topic: Baby Swiss into the warm room - Advice, please?  (Read 3845 times)

GoudaGirl13

Baby Swiss into the warm room - Advice, please?
« on: February 20, 2015, 12:51:22 AM »
Hello cheese friends!!

I'm looking for a bit of guidance as I move my Baby Swiss into the "warm room".
This is the recipe I used - http://www.cheesemaking.com/SwissBaby.html

I held the cheese for 3 weeks, turning 3 times daily and am now about to put it into the "warm room". I have a special closet that is 21C (70F). I have the cheese in a container on a rack and am trying to figure out how to monitor and control humidity in there during this time. (This closet is away from my regular cheese cave in my cellar) I guess I will try to find a hygrometer to measure the humidity and use bowls of water, if needed, to raise the humidity. Any advice on this is appreciated!

Also, the outside of the Baby Swiss feels moist and even a tiny bit sticky but not in any way that concerns me. There is also no sign of mold on the outside yet, but I haven't done ANYTHING to the rind while it was in the cold (cave) storage for 3 weeks - no washing with salt brine/vinegar - no dry salting - just flipped it again and again.

Now that it is going into the warm room, I expect that it may require some "rind maintenance" of some sort. I don't want to dry out the rind so that it remains flexible while it "bloats". Any advice on this? Should I wash the rind daily or dry salt it?

I must also admit that this is my first "natural rind" type of cheese. I have always dried and waxed cheeses before this and feel unsure of the methods for washing the rind. I guess I'm afraid of getting it too wet or drying it out (with salt/salt brine) too much.

Any advice on how I might proceed is welcomed!! Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience! :)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Baby Swiss into the warm room - Advice, please?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 01:21:04 AM »
Jo I would message Alp and seek his advice.  He makes emmentaler for a living.    http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=8867;area=summary
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »
GoudaGirl------I use olive oil or coconut oil on my Alpine style cheese when in warm phase---it keeps it soft enough for gas expansion and helps keep  mold at bay---eventually forms a nice rind with no off beat flavors----basically low maintenance-----some will say that's not the traditional way-----But it has been working well for me in the real dry winter air. I have never tried this with a baby swiss, so not sure about that one.
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
I don't have an rh meter, so I have never been sure exactly what humidity my cheeses enjoy ... or endure! But taking a cue from others on this forum, when I particularly want to maintain a relatively high humidity, I put the cheese in a ripening box. I bought some cheap plastic storage containers from Wallyworld and use them. With the lid slightly ajar, the cheese itself supplies and maintains the humidity. That's what I did for my two most recent swiss-style makes, and they both swelled up nicely. Afterwards, I waxed them so that I wouldn't have to work as hard to maintain them ... but if I hadn't waxed, I would go for a light b. linens rind (see Alp's methods in the link in the earlier post).
-- Andy

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 11:20:59 PM »
To keep it warm enough, I use an old fashioned electric heating pad, with a square baking dish on top of it, and then my ripening box. The cheese is on a mat in the box, and I pop the top of the box just enough to let some humidity out and to fit a thermometer probe into to box for air temp. The cheese is treated with a light coating of olive oil before going into the warm phase. I turn it daily, checking for any nasties (usually none), and admiring the smell! I have made "holey" cheeses 4 times with the same procedure with good results and nice holes. Each time I have left the cheese in the warm phase about 4 weeks. Oh my goodness, the smell is enough to really make me want to tear into the cheese right then! But no, back into the regular cave au-natural for a few more weeks or months!
Susan

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:25:05 AM »
Susan----now that's a good idea----but don't most heating pads have an automatic time off function, supposedly for safety? Might one of those seed mats work better? And what temp. are you maintaining? There has been a lot of discussion on the site about the best temp. for warming phase, with little agreement. Thanks for a great idea I'm going to give this a try.
Qdog

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 03:11:39 PM »
It is an ancient heating pad - no auto off function! I aim for 70 to 75 degrees.
Susan

GoudaGirl13

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »
Thank you for all the helpful and thoughtful responses!! I have coconut oil here (always) so I think I might try that! Here is a pic of my cheese in the warm room in its container. I also have no real idea about the humidity and keep the lid ajar just like awakephd. The cheese smells good and is moist enough....no drying out. The thermometer in there says 20C (68F). The cheese is sitting on a board (pine) which is sitting on a raised rack so that the cheese is located in the center area of the container.

I noticed a very small indication of some mold development - in the last picture, you can see it, barely apparent at all but still there. I guess I'd better catch it now than wait. I have not yet done anything at all to the rind, but plan to today. I like the coconut oil idea, thank you scasnerkay. :)

Could you give me a little bit more info on how you use the coconut oil? Do you warm it and use it in a liquid form? Do you barely coat it or coat it alot? What kind of cloth do you use for coating? Do you think I should give a quick wash with a salt brine first to rid the cheese of the first signs of mold? Or do you think the coconut oil will suffice in holding it back?

Thank you all in advance!! :)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 10:05:22 PM »
If you want to remove all molds prior to oiling I would wash it with straight white wine.

GoudaGirl13

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 10:15:54 PM »
Oh! Thank you Al Lewis.....

I only have Vermouth (Noilly Prat) at the moment here.....do you think that will suffice? :)

Stinky

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 10:42:12 PM »
I use olive oil. While it doesn't completely prevent mold, it definitely slows it, and if a bunch of mold starts growing slap on another coat of oil after you brush it off and it'll take a break for a few days. Just don't rub on a lot. Just enough to make it all covered in oil, but not nearly enough to drip. This amount will grow smaller over time. You can go weekly, but I do it twice a week, typically.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »
Oh! Thank you Al Lewis.....

I only have Vermouth (Noilly Prat) at the moment here.....do you think that will suffice? :)

That should be fine Jo. ;)

Kern

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 11:48:59 PM »
Could you give me a little bit more info on how you use the coconut oil? Do you warm it and use it in a liquid form? Do you barely coat it or coat it alot?

Coconut oil is solid at room temperature but melts at skin temperature.  You could grab some with a clean hand and simply smear it on the rind.  Your hand would likely melt it and then it would solidify on the cheese in a few minutes.

GoudaGirl13

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 01:29:57 AM »
Fabulous!! You're all so helpful!
:)

I have washed the rind gently with the Vermouth and placed back into the warm room. I think I will give it another vemouth bath tomorrow (seemed to go nicely with the cheese scent!) and then begin the coconut oil.

We use coconut oil for so many things - body care, toothpastes, amillion different ways! But one of favorites so far is making homemade chocolate with raw cacao, honey, vanilla and coconut oil. (to DIE for)

I think I'll love the fragrance of it on the cheese as well!
How often would you oil it? :)
:D

Kern

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 01:40:10 AM »
How often would you oil it? :)
I'll have to defer on your question as I've not used coconut oil on cheese.  We use it extensively in Paleo cooking so I am very familiar with it from this.  Anyone else used it on cheese?