Author Topic: Hi from VA  (Read 945 times)

Sarahal88

Hi from VA
« on: February 20, 2015, 06:59:51 PM »
Hello,

I am a brand new cheese maker in the western mountains of Virginia, USA, outside a small town called Broadway. I am mostly interested in making cheese because I am trying to make and grow as much of my own food as possible. I love eating and serving meals that I can say I grew 100% from my own garden and my own hand. I also like the idea of learning artisan crafts that are being lost and forgotten in the wake of industrializing and commercializing everything. And just the fun of learning new things, in general.

My interest in cheese first  started because I had a goal of making a completely from scratch pizza - I canned the tomato sauce myself, made the crust, grew the toppings, foraged wild mushrooms. With all those fresh ingredients, it seemed like I should make the cheese too! I started by making quick mozzarella a few times for pizza, and really enjoyed it. Then tried feta and love the result. I have posted elsewhere about my first farmhouse cheddar attempt, which may have failed. Still waiting to see what happens to that one. But I'm ready to try try again. It is great to know that I can get some input from practiced cheese makers - I find it really tough to learn just by reading, which is what I have done so far.

I am hoping to add 2 sheep to my property this Spring or Summer, and love the idea of an animal that can provide meat, milk, and fiber for the homestead. After I tasted some ewe's milk manchego at the local cheese shop, I got very interested in making ewe's milk cheese, but would like to get my feet wet with some other cheese before I delve into doing my own dairy animals. And obviously something like Manchego is a loooooong way off. I really do not have gourmet ambitions. If I can master making good mozzarella and something cheddar-like that doesn't give anyone food poisoning, that will be good enough for me!

Nice to meet you all and thanks in advance for your help.

Sarah-Alice

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Hi from VA
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »
Man, I thought you were the VA rep I've been trying to get on the phone!!  LOL  Welcome to the forum Sarah-Alice!!  There are lots of folks on here doing the same as you and lots of other folks that do this for a living.  They are all full of great information and a willingness to help others.  I'm sure you will find everything you need here for your new adventure.  Ask any question, there are no dumb questions, and I can assure you the folks on here will come to your aid. :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
Hear, hear! :-)

Frodage

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:09:06 AM »
Hi Sarah-Alice,
It's great to hear that you want to re-learn the expert arts of the olden days. Courage! You can do it!

Kern

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 05:24:50 AM »
Welcome to CheeseForum.  I highly recommend that you have a copy of Mastering Artisan Cheese by Gianaclis Caldwell.  Read it and understand the principles and a lot of your cheese making problems will melt away.   ;)

qdog1955

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:54:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  Here is a warning----cheese making is highly addictive ;) and if you can stop at just trying a couple styles of cheese----you have much more self-control then most of us---good luck in your endeavors.
Qdog

Sarahal88

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »
Thanks everyone! Finding this forum has been a big help already.

Welcome to CheeseForum.  I highly recommend that you have a copy of Mastering Artisan Cheese by Gianaclis Caldwell.  Read it and understand the principles and a lot of your cheese making problems will melt away.   ;)

I got this book as a Christmas gift and refer to is all the time. Great recommendation!