Author Topic: Ripening Boxes? I'm Confused.  (Read 4147 times)

cindybman

Ripening Boxes? I'm Confused.
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:44:35 PM »
OK.  I made a dedicated cheese-making room and before I started my first recipe, I had ordered and received all supplies I would need (I did this by following provided supply-lists in a couple of my cheese making books).  So, of course, I have cheese ripening boxes and mats, etc.  I also have two under-counter wine fridges that will be equipped (each) with a Cave Cube humidity control.

So, am I supposed to age the cheeses in the ripening boxes in the "caves" or do I age the cheeses in the cave without the boxes? If I do it without the boxes, I take it I should still use the mats, right?

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question because I feel like I'm missing something waaaaaaay obvious.

Thanks and all the best!

Cindy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Ripening Boxes? I'm Confused.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:04:35 PM »
The boxes are for cheeses that might require higher humidity or to isolate the molds on a specific cheese such as blue.  The cheese mats are just a clean surface to sit your cheeses on while they ripen.  I don't put cheese mats in ripening boxes.  I prefer to use the plastic tray that comes with mine.  BTW  if you are making a mold ripening cheese such as brie be careful using mats as the mold will attach itself to the bamboo and pull the skin off of the cheese when you flip it.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

cindybman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:18:54 AM »
Thanks Al!  I don't have a bamboo mat, only the "mats" that came with the ripening box.  I truly appreciate your help!  This is going to be an amazing hobby!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:43:18 AM »
Sushi making matts are great - cheep and reasonable easy to clean.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 10:46:45 PM »
I use ripening boxes to control the humidity, it's easier than constantly trying to get the whole thing to an even temp.

cindybman

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 12:04:18 AM »
Thanks Ozzie and Stinky!

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »
BTW  if you are making a mold ripening cheese such as brie be careful using mats as the mold will attach itself to the bamboo and pull the skin off of the cheese when you flip it.
Al, I forget about that when I made these ash-covered Camemberts 3 weeks ago and literally had to rip the tops off to save the rest of the cheese :( :(.  My bad as I was out of town for 6 days and didn't have a cheese sitter lined up.

Cindy, I know Al answered your question on mini-caves but I will add that while it's not necessary but it is helpful to put a small humidity gauge inside your mini-cave.  Here's the last one I tried and the readings on the 5 I checked agreed with the humidity controller.  I also tested this Exo Terra but found it hard to read.  Aside from the low cost of the "generic" it is easy to read from a distance and you can tape it to the side of your mini-cave where you can see it.  Only drawback is a long ship time but I plan to buy more to offer with our mini-caves.

cindybman

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »
This. Forum. ROCKS.  (Roques??  Roquefort... my punning skills are truly lacking)

John@PC -- thanks for the photo and advice.  It is truly appreciated!  Thank you for the link to the humidity gauge.  I ordered a "Cave Cube"... hopefully it will arrive soon. I am not affiliated with this company in any way, shape, or form... just a customer.  It's a humidifying "cube" made specifically for caves... there is the actual unit and then a gauge.  http://www.perfect-cheese.com/humidity-control-package incase you or any reader has thoughts. 

I've decided for my next round to make Colby; but I keep putting it off... afraid to start.  I'm afraid of failure... ugh.  Considering I failed my first stab at cottage cheese (used HHST Pasteurized milk; didn't know about the "HHST" part), I should be gung-ho!

This site motivates me... I really should visit here at least once a day.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
BTW  if you are making a mold ripening cheese such as brie be careful using mats as the mold will attach itself to the bamboo and pull the skin off of the cheese when you flip it.
Al, I forget about that when I made these ash-covered Camemberts 3 weeks ago and literally had to rip the tops off to save the rest of the cheese :( :(.  My bad as I was out of town for 6 days and didn't have a cheese sitter lined up.

If that ever happens again John just turn the mat and cheeses upside down on another mat and roll the stuck mat up into a cylinder.  That way it pulls away from the cheese on stick at a time and does the least damage.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:35:55 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 12:48:13 AM »
Hi Al,  what a good suggestion !!

@Cindy  HHST stands for High Hold - Short time.  or HTST High Temp - Short time 72 °C (161 °F) for 15 seconds. This is the most common method and the effects this has on curd formation and strength can be partially - about 92% - reversed by the addition of Calcium Chloride - I use a 1/8th of a Teaspoon diluted in 1/4 cup of non-chlorinated water in 10 Litres.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Kern

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 01:43:23 AM »
I forget about that when I made these ash-covered Camemberts 3 weeks ago and literally had to rip the tops off to save the rest of the cheese

Good Lord, John, I think that I need my eyes checked!  I looked at the picture of your ash covered cheeses and could have sworn there were ten of them!  Then I went back and saw that the five on the right were really just "mat prints".  LOL   :P

cindybman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »
Thanks Ozzie!

Guiseppe

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 02:49:07 PM »
Cindy - a couple of things to bear in mind.

Firstly, as Mal (AKA OzzieCheese) says, ''Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !''

Secondly, this site has hundreds of cheese makers, many have enormous experience.  Whatever problem you may have somebody out there knows the answer.
There was once a time when all of them made their first piece of cheese when they knew less than you know now.

Thirdly, and most importantly, nobody on this site views cheese making as a competition.  As you quite rightly say, this site rocks and everybody will offer what help and assistance they can.

cindybman

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »
Thanks Guiseppe!  I truly appreciate your post!