Author Topic: Jarlsberg warm phase in summer  (Read 11300 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Jarlsberg warm phase in summer
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »
It would seem that conditions for your cheese to do what you want it to do are right regardless of gauges.  Just keep on with your original plan.  It's working!! ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

LoftyNotions

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2015, 09:46:50 PM »
Just watch for light condensation on the container walls. I would definitely not bag a holey cheese at this early stage.. If you pull a vacuum on it you stand a good chance of having a blowout.

Larry

shaneb

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2015, 09:49:37 PM »
Thanks Guys. I might add a little water then as there was no condensation this morning. It is good to hear that it is working. I had a 3 month old colby come out of the cave yesterday that I expected to be good and it was a dud. Dry, crumbly and the taste wasn't right.

Shane

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2015, 09:51:16 PM »
Colby was one of the first cheeses I did.  Didn't get crumbly but I never had an urge to do another.  Taste just wasn't that great to make it worth the trouble.

shaneb

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2015, 10:11:17 PM »
That's interesting to know. Not sure whether I'd try it again or not.

Shane

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »
I found way too many other interesting and delicious cheeses I wanted to try and as my time for cheese making is not as long as I would like it to be I rationed it out to those cheeses.  I can buy colby at the store dirt cheap but Stilton or Triple Cream Brie, or Vacherin Mont D'Or?  Well they aren't cheap or easy to find.  Many other artisan cheeses just aren't even available on the market so if you want to enjoy them you will have to make them.  Besides that I seem to have a standing order for my triple cream brie from every friend I have. LOL 

shaneb

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 03:37:24 AM »
Yeah that's fair. I'm trying to cater for youngsters as well, hence a more mild cheese. Since I flipped this morning another lump has appeared on the top side. I've got photos this time. It's almost rising as quickly as the pizza base dough I made today. :-)

Stinky

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 03:44:04 AM »
Oo, exciting!

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 06:41:31 AM »
Hmmm...

qdog1955

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2015, 10:21:54 AM »
Al-----You make a very valid point----I have had the failures with Colby and Jarlsberg---  when I can buy them at Sam's Club for $4.50 a lb. and I can't improve them----and it costs more then that to make them-----I would rather put the effort into less available or affordable cheese-----but the failures did really help my learning experiences.
Qdog

shaneb

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 03:30:37 AM »
Is the cheese supposed to smell quite bad at this stage? Not sure whether it is the white wine or the cheese. It has been bulging quite a bit, but I think there was a tiny ooze from one of the bulges also. I'll try and upload photos shortly.

Thanks.

Shane
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:10:44 AM by Shane »

Stinky

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
What do you mean by bad? A socky smell? A moldy smell?

LoftyNotions

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 03:19:29 PM »
It is looking a little orange. Does it smell like Stinky's boots, or maybe rotten crab? :) First guess is B. linens. The wine/brine wash does encourage that. It's helpful for good rind formation, but if you can't stand it at this point maybe shift to a straight wine wash.

There are several threads here on rind formation and washing. Try to find a path that suits your needs.

Larry

shaneb

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2015, 10:19:42 PM »
Thanks Guys. It is hard to describe the smell. It is certainly not stinky socks. Probably closer to rotten crab if I could imagine that smell.  :o I have just given it a wash with straight wine. I think the orange colour may have been a lighting effect. When I look at the rind there is no obvious orange.

I will take a look at the rind formation and washing threads.

Thanks again.

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 04:53:10 AM »
That thread on washing and rind formation was brilliant. Here is an updated photo with a lump looking like a volcano ready to erupt.

Shane