Author Topic: Jarlsberg warm phase in summer  (Read 11325 times)

shaneb

Re: Jarlsberg warm phase in summer
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 05:03:00 AM »
Here's an updated photo. Nearly passed out from the odour while taking to photo.  :o I'm washing daily in straight white wine for the moment.

Shane

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »
I'm beginning to fear you are experiencing late blowing.  I've never had the problem myself so someone else may want to chime in here but it sure looks like it could be.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

shaneb

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2015, 09:50:09 PM »
Thanks. It would certainly be in keeping with my last couple of weeks. This morning I've just washed the cheese in straight wine, however it appears to have slumped. A blow-out?? Do I just bin it now?

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2015, 08:32:17 AM »
RIP Jarlsberg #1. The slump continued and there seemed to be a large population of gnats/tiny flies attacking it. I've taken some photos to help for learning before I try again. If I do it again I'll try changing the height/width so that I can get it into my portable fridge. I suspect the high ambient conditions probably didn't help. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2015, 07:56:07 AM »
I'm sorry to read this...

Like Al I suspect late blowing too... Take a look at http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13810.msg104618.html#msg104618

If it's late blowing you are not to blame - it was because of spores in the milk. I'm using something called Lysozyme to prevent this.

Have a cheese for a great effort - the failure was not your fault.

:-) Danbo

shaneb

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2015, 08:12:06 AM »
Thanks Danbo! It's great to see you back. I'll try and see if I can get some Lysozyme. How much do you need? Initial pieces look really expensive in Australia. I've seen prices of $63 for 5g and $230+ for 500g. Those are not from cheesemaking sites. Is it used elsewhere?

Thanks

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »
I think that it is used for brewing but I'm not sure...

I use up to 1 gram Lysozyme (powder) for 24 liters of milk.

I pay 13 Euro for 100 grams from Germany. If you know someone living in Germany maybe they can mail it to you. The company does not ship to Australia. PM me if you want the contact info.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »
I think that it is used for brewing but I'm not sure...

I use up to 1 gram Lysozyme (powder) for 24 liters of milk.

I pay 13 Euro (plus VAT) for 100 grams from Germany. If you know someone living in Germany maybe they can mail it to you. The company does not ship to Australia. PM me if you want the contact info.

shaneb

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2015, 09:39:43 AM »
Thanks Danbo. My wife is German, but I'm not sure if her family over there would send it or not (the don't like people posting stuff to them...... go figure). I might check out some local home brew stores here first. The price you paid is very attractive. It might be worth getting some before I try again.

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2015, 12:19:38 PM »
If you can get milk from cows fed on hay or fresh grass (and not ensilage) the risk of late blowing (clostridium) should be much lower. Here in Denmark most cows are fed ensilage in the winter time. That said, I'm not sure that it was actually late blowing causing your cheese to fail - just an educated guess...

If it gas from the swelling smelled like vommit then I would be even more sure that it was late blowing (mine did).

shaneb

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2015, 09:42:01 PM »
Thanks Danbo. It was summer over here, so I doubt the cows would have been fed silage. The smell was terrible, but I'm not sure how much of that odour was attributed to the rind. It didn't smell like vomit at all, very hard to describe though.

Does lysozyme need cold storage? Not sure how I'd go bringing it in from overseas if that were the case.

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
I store mine at -18 C but as I recall it is not necessary (?). I received it uncooled and I think that it took 3-5 days to get here.

shaneb

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2015, 08:52:12 PM »
Thanks Danbo. I'll keep it in mind.

Shane

shaneb

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2015, 06:40:59 AM »
I'm going to make a smaller (8L) Jarlsberg tomorrow and am just going over my make sheet from last time. It seems I used three times too much propionic bacteria. That probably didn't help. I'll correct the amount for this make.

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »
That could be an issue. :-)