Author Topic: can i freeze geotrichum and/or roqueforti?  (Read 1796 times)

fredthecat

can i freeze geotrichum and/or roqueforti?
« on: February 21, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »
sorry to perhaps repeat an oft asked question, it seems like most say you can't freeze a culture of geotrichum. is that true?

but can i make a mother culture of blue mold like roqueforti?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: can i freeze geotrichum and/or roqueforti?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »
I believe the confusion here might be that the molds and cultures you buy that must be stored in the freezer are "freeze dried" as opposed to just freezing them.  Not sure if just freezing them would kill them off but I'm sure one of the pros might be able to clear it up.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Frodage

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »
Hi Fred,

I cultured P. roqueforti on sour dough bread. I'm storing it on my counter top in a zip lock baggie. No refrigeration needed. It survives in the wild without refrigeration, too! Check out: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13658.msg103504.html#msg103504

fredthecat

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 01:21:43 PM »
i think i'll try p. roqueforti. but where i live i can't get sourdough bread, i'd have to make my own sourdough bacteria mix.

i think i will take a bit from the centre of some blue cheese, mush it up in a sanitized container and add some pasteurized milk to it. ill let it grow a bit then freeze it into icecubes.

Frodage

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:58:09 PM »
The nice thing about sour dough is that the microorganisms are all around you. You're just giving them a contained place to thrive.