Author Topic: Distillation - Cherries To Create "Eau De Vie" For Washing Cheese  (Read 5902 times)

Bella

In the past week or so, I saw a post somewhere in the forum where Carter mentions distillation and that this was something he knew a bit about. So I guess, Carter, this question is beamed in your direction, but there may be more than one who can chime in – the more the merrier. The background to the question is a bit convoluted, but let me try to set the scene.

Back in March, I attempted a Tomme au Marc (as per Ricki Carroll’s recipe), and it is not too far off being ready. In the absence of grape skins from wine production, I bought a kilo of grapes and obtained the skins. Instead of the ‘splash of merlot’ recommended by Ricki, I used what remained in a red wine bottle from dinner the previous evening.

This process seemed to be a good way of introducing some new flavours to a cheese, and I would like to explore it with some other fruits.

In the book, ‘French Cheeses’, there are several references to eau de vie, and googling showed that it is obtained from the distillation of the juice of fermented fruit. One of my fruit trees, an acerola cherry, is about to have its third fruiting (and last) for the season, and I would like to attempt an eau de vie from them, but draw a blank when it comes to the distillation process.

Is there anyone who can give me some simple instructions (is it simple?) for producing a distillate from the fermented cherries? Oh, and using kitchen utensils, if possible, rather than beakers etc from a science lab?
TIA

linuxboy

Re: Distillation - Cherries To Create "Eau De Vie" For Washing Cheese
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:51:32 AM »
It's a bit of a sensitive topic because in most parts of the world, distillation is illegal. But in general, distillation involves doing something (such as heating) to an underlying substance (such as a low wines), and then taking out through condensation the various components of that substance.

I think there are forums out there more suited to hobby distilling, such as homedistiller.org.

Bella

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:27:19 AM »
Thanks Linuxboy - I spent quite a bit of time at the website you posted. It really showed me the naivete of my question!

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

wharris

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:04:33 AM »
That's Illegal!

(The having wine leftover part I mean)
;)

Bella

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 01:04:07 AM »
Big grin!!!! 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:16:17 AM »
Sorry I've been away. Eau de vie means water of life. It's a loaded question, it depends how good with tools you are. Distilling takes time and lots of knowledge. Distilling contains methyl alcohol which causes blindness and you have to know how to get rid of it. Basically you have to be very passionate to distill on a home level. BTW even though it's illegal in the US if you're making small quantities for yourself and don't sell it you'll be all right, John feel free to delete the last part I said, but I firmly believe in the freedom of speech, but I won't be offended if you remove the last few lines. If you really want to know I can recommend some books, but it takes lots of custom made equipment and can be expensive. There are cheap ways to do it on your stove though. Let me know. Fermenting and then distilling the grape skins is what Italian Grappa.

Bella

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:11:08 AM »
Hi Carter
Sorry, I have just seen your post!!  Thanks for the info. I have done a bit of research into the requirements for the process, and figured that it was probably beyond me and much more than my needs demand.

In the meantime, I have found someone who lives near me and who is a distilling fanatic. When the time comes to work with the cherries, I will contact him and he will do the distillation for me. I thought I would have a decent crop of cherries about now, but there weren’t as many as I hoped, so am eating them instead. They are quite out of season (normally ripen December-February), but are in a nice sunny spot, so I guess I have the plant confused!

Thanks again and I will get back to you if I decide to go with the stove-top idea.
B

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 10:26:55 PM »
Distilling won't make you blind.  There are only traces of methyl alcohol in the base spirit, and if there was enough methyl alcohol to cause blindness then drinking a case of beer would also cause blindness.

"One of the classic fears that spring to most peoples' minds when the subject of amateur distillation comes up is that of going blind, or even dying, but this is a myth. Blindness, in this context, is caused by drinking methyl alcohol (i.e. wood alcohol). Anyone who ever went blind from drinking illicit liquor did so by drinking concoctions that were heavily adulterated with store-bought wood alcohol."

http://www.home-distilling.com/HD_health.asp

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 02:58:20 AM »
This is true. But I tend to let people know it's not so simple of a process, I just want people to be cautious. To make good alcohol you do have to get rid of the forshots which contain the methyl and the tails which contain nasty fusel alcohols. If someone did drink the forshots right off the still thinking it was just plain ol' alohol they probably would get very sick as it's a concentrated dose, because large doses of methyl does cause blindness, but as you said it's a myth that this could happen from distillation of regular mashes.

thebelgianpanda

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
Erring on the side of cautiousness when you are dealing with a pretty good amount of heat, pressure, and flammable substances is definately the right approach  :D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 12:43:36 AM »
Panda, did you see the episode of Mythbusters where they plugged up all the holes on a water heater and then just plugged it in?

Mythbusters water heater

Freakin' Amazing, they build a real mini house around it and just kept it on until it failed. BLEW the house to splinters. Check out the video above.

timnbama

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 10:43:09 PM »
Most people who have gone blind from drinking moonshine did so as a result of lead, either lead solder or as a lot of the shiners did years ago dump whole car batteries in the vat for the acid. I remember the shiners around here when I was a small child and some of the stuff that they used to do and talk about and even some of the stills that I found out in the woods. On top of the batteries being dumped in many were using old car radiators for coolers, a lot would dump dead animals around their still sites to mask the smell of the grain fermenting. I guess one of my uncles was one of the first welders around here to introduce many of the locals around here to stainless steel and non-lead solder.

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 12:26:16 AM »
"Going blind" by home distilling is a myth simmiler to marijuana making you a drug addict, a murderer and suicidle  ^-^.

You can look up Kirsh, its distilled fermented cherry.

I reckon you can make an alcohol extraction (liquer) ,steeping the cherries to get something that is delicious and also used as a replacement.
Making it interesting will be also fermenting some cherry wine blending it back with the high alcohol extraction to creat a super fortified cherry bomb  >:D
You may use everclear,brandy or vodka as source of alcohol.

During the begining of the winter I used some dark cheries (damn expenssive this year) and blended the end reason with some top up left over of the 2010 syrah port I made and its amazing, the darkest fruitiest wine I have ever tasted.

I reckon I'l use this technique next year,steep some cherries or other dark berry into the 95% fortification alcohol , that will really bust the flavour.  I can only imagine what this will turn into once fruit oxidizes during aging.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 02:00:59 AM »
That's Illegal!

(The having wine leftover part I mean)
;)

;D
- Paul