Author Topic: More homemade Gizmos and Gadgets  (Read 3736 times)

qdog1955

More homemade Gizmos and Gadgets
« on: February 21, 2015, 04:56:21 PM »
  Some photos of some of the gadgets I've been playing with lately-----A new extra long curd Knife for my new cheese vat----the old one just won't reach 13 inch----experimenting with a silicone curd stirrer, with very round edges---not sure of the best shape, round, rectangle, square---any suggestions are welcome. Now need longer handle for that.
  Finally, a curd cutter for round vats---self centering----have different size grids----worked well with my curd substitute--JELLO---a suggestion from Amarlino for a cheap substitute to experiment on.
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: More homemade Gizmos and Gadgets
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 04:59:43 PM »
That curd cutter is great!!  Any chance of putting a small motor on that for automated stirring?  Perhaps you could adapt a bar-b-que rotisserie motor.  Just about the right speed and plenty of power.  Just need a long hex on the end of the shaft with a nut on top to keep it from falling in.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

qdog1955

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 05:05:54 PM »
Al----already did that one---check this link under Caerphilly  http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13821.msg104693.html#msg104693
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »
Very cool!!  Is that a wiper motor?  A lot more complicated than what I had in mind but a godsend to those who hate to stir, and who doesn't?  LOL  Great job!!  AC4U for your ingenuity!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:55:41 PM by Al Lewis »

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
Al----Thanks, that's high praise coming from one in your line of work. Actually it's a power window motor. The device works great on those cheeses with like three hours stirring----but not so well on some Alpines, that seem to need a much slower and gentle stir.
 Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:59:29 PM »
I was thinking along the lines of bolting a slide on rotisserie mount flat on a crossmember so you could slide the motor on with the drive socket, open ended, matching up with a hole in the crossmember.  You could use a rotisserie skewer for the shaft with a slide on paddle that secures with a thumb screw.  You could turn down the top two inches to accommodate a 1/4-20 UNC and use a thumb nut to hold the shaft and adjust the height of the shaft for the pot.  You could press a Delrin or nylon round foot on the bottom of the shaft so it didn't scratch the pot. Make sense to you?

shaneb

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:47:23 PM »
Very nice. That is definitely worth a cheese. What metal is the wire grid made out of?

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
Great work!! AC4U

qdog1955

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 11:07:01 AM »
  Well Al---it's like this---I'm a cheap skate ;)---I try to use what I have lying around----and have made so many variations, only to find a flaw in my thinking and when I originally posted, it was looking for ideas from smarter people then me----so I greatly appreciate the input. This was the first that actually lived up to my expectations, though it could certainly be improved.
  First started with an AC reduction motor----found out needed a variable speed----controllers for AC were to expensive----went to DC---lots cheaper, but a bit more complicated----the off/on timer relay is what made it all work great ( that was off a melting furnace I had made years ago) an interesting story for another time.
  I made the shaft length adjustable with two bronze joints using SS set screws----that makes the shaft and impeller easily removable for cleaning and I used a silicone pad cast in the bottom of shaft to prevent scratching----so we are thinking along the same lines.
  Since giving up most of my machine shop and welding equipment---it's been a real challenge to put ideas together that I'm still capable of accomplishing.
 One other thing----the motor is rated at 8.5 foot lbs.----and that was fine on my 4 gallon pot----but it struggles on the 5 and 6 gallon makes, especially at low speed---after the curd starts releasing more whey, it is much easier.
  There has been a lot of talk on the forum about making stirring  devices and I am only offering up these tidbits, so others might avoid as much trial and error.
  And that leads to the Jello----experimenting on your 6 gallon cheese make can have effects your not looking for ( been there) and I couldn't think of a substitute with close to the same traits as cheese curd---and then Ameriliano came up with the idea of Using Jello and it was brilliant and much less expensive then milk curds.
  After thought. The variable speed is almost a necessity---as you need less speed as the curd releases whey----the adjustable on off timer allows you to leave and adjust for different makes requiring different stirring techniques.
  Sorry---got a little long winded---OK---got a lot long winded :)
Qdog   

qdog1955

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
Shane
 The grid and the shaft are both 304 stainless--  about  nine or ten dollars a Square foot and you can get all kinds of various sizes---I am thinking of going with just mostly horizontal wire in I/2 in. and one in.----since I use those the most and you still have to make vertical cuts anyway.
Qdog

qdog1955

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 11:24:20 AM »
Thanks Danbo----I know you appreciate gadgets, even if you are a Square (pan) type of guy. ;)
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 05:56:15 PM »
Sounds like you've thought it out and addressed all of the mechanical issues.  I think you already addressed it but be careful with the bronze.  Not good around food.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 06:15:36 PM »
Qdog: It's hip to be square! ;-)
[size=78%]Round or square, I don't care, but fill up with milk, and I'll be there... ;-)[/size]