Author Topic: I need a cheese teacher.....  (Read 9822 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: I need a cheese teacher.....
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 03:15:25 PM »
You will not believe how much difference the LTP non-homogenized milk will make. After using it, you will never want to go back to P&H milk again!

Unfortunately, some of us live where it is extremely difficult or expensive to get raw or LTP milk ... so dealing with less-than-perfect curds is par for the course. I almost always get some shattering of the curd with P&H milk ... but it still makes cheese in the end.
-- Andy

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 04:07:29 PM »
I vote for making Caerphilly cheese over and over until you feel like you have it down.  Why this cheese?  Because it is so versatile and you can eat it after 3 weeks and see how you did or age it for a year or so.  Hard to figure out whether you're succeeding on a cheese that has to age 6-9 months or whatever.....what to you do on the next batch if you have no idea how the last make turned out.  I've eaten this cheese at all ages.  it's also great for doing coatings on such as smoked paprika/coconut oil and you can also do nice craggy natural rinds or keep them smooth.  The guy at Little Green Cheese has good instructions for making this cheese.  I think I used his photo version because the video one wasn't made yet.  This is a pleasant cheese that is easy to love and you could make only this cheese in a zillion variations and be happy the rest of your life probably!   ;)  How is that for an endorsement??  (and no, I am not paid by ISCL - International Society of Caerphilly Lovers)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »
That is excellent advice - I too endorse the humble Caerphilly. It covers a range of skills especially Temperature control.  You can press it light and eat it soon.  There are some wonderful make recipes here - I use the one from Tim Smiths book - with a few variations.  I'll create a control sheet.  I'll start another thread something like 'Teaching Caephilly' and start there.  BTW Jeff Hamm here is the master of Caerphilly.  Maybe we could starting a 'Teaching .... ' complete thread where People can Teach others how to make a cheese, but with way more technical information. 

Just my thoughts ...

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Sarahal88

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 09:11:42 PM »
You guys are heroes, that will be great. If I get a recipe and it looks manageable, I will do Caerphilly next.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 03:51:10 AM »
Just to give you incentive on playing with Caerphilly I'll attach some photos.  Making the same cheese over and over again does NOT have to be boring.
In order of appearance we have one smeared with smoked paprika and coconut oil.....a thick mix put on almost like icing a cake
a cheese decorated with chive leaves and flowers (the flowers are on top), a cheese adorned with Geranium macrorrhizum after smearing with raw local honey (this one took a lot of careful cleaning of the wild blue molds that wanted to colonize)  and a rustic natural rind version of Caerphilly.   These are all Caerphilly cheeses.

shaneb

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 04:39:44 AM »
Tiarella, those cheeses are a work of art. I wish I could get natural rinds like that. Would you have the same success with a ripening box or do you need lots of ventilation?

Shane

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 04:56:51 AM »
that one was done in a ripening box.  It's all possible.  and I can promise that I didn't baby this rind....in fact I am guilty of cheese neglect.  I've had some grow shag carpets of wild blue molds/yeasts when my cave was at 99% humidity.  I left them for weeks at a time and then would brush them off.  There was sitting water in the cave although no cheese sitting in the water of course.  The cheeses so badly neglected are being opened now after about 14 months and although the cheese close to the rind has sone mold taste the inner part is fine....better than I could imagine possible after the neglect.  I don't neglect out of malicious thought towards the poor innocent cheeses....I'm just busy with farming and flower essence production. 

shaneb

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 05:30:04 AM »
That is excellent to hear. I think my problem is as soon add I see a spot of mould I freak out. I need to get over that.

What type of flower essences do you produce? Sounds interesting.

Shane

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »
What wonderful cheeses - Tiarella.  I'm noway near that level - inspiring :) and I feel a cheese is necessary.

Sarahal88:
Here is a basic Caerphilly style cheese with a few notes on the different pasteurisation levels.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10375.0.html

The main point is the process and I dont know what cultures you have access to so where I have 1 dose of MO 030 - this is just a basic Mesophillic culture, I've included another culture chart so a comparable one is Mesophilic (Danisco) Choozit MA011/MA014/MA016/MA019 or Mesophilic (Abiasa) Type III.  It mentions that it is a High to Med acidifier and is just a guide on how active the culture is.  There are many thing you can do here but stick with the basics for now.

Your next challenge is Rennet and this too is a bit difficult as I don't know what you have and what strength, have a look and see if you can find a figure that says something like 190 IMCU or I think the scale in the US is different (larger number) but the intent is to show you how active it is.  Some say single or double strength rennet and somewhere around the 200 IMCU is considered Single strength.

Next thing - Flocculation Time.  This is where the Art comes into it.. If you don't already know the flocculation point is not the Curd cutting time but is used to calculate it.  You will see a lot of recipes say "Add rennet - stir and let sit for 40 minutes and then check for a "Clean Break".  The link above has a description of how to measure and use the Flocculation point to determine the optimal time to cut the curd.  Not the same every time due to many reasons including seasonal difference in the milk, temperature, how much acid the culture has developed amongst others.  If you don't feel comfortable using this it should be about 40 minutes. 

Measuring the clean break is making a small cut in the curd surface and placing the flat of your curd knife under the cut at a 45 deg angle and slowly lifting the knife.  Watching, as you lift, the behaviour of the curd as it splits and the colour of the whey that fills the cut space.  if the edge is rounded and the whey is milky then leave a further 5 minutes and test again. What you are looking for is a nice sharp edge and clear to yellowish whey.  What you are really checking for is that the Curd matrix has formed sufficiently to trap the fat in the protein network with minimal leakage back into the whey.

Temperature:  Caerphilly has a very small cooking temerature rise about 4 Deg F sorry my measurments are in degrees C but this is a good example of thermal inertia to get the curd to to move that 2 deg C / 4 Deg F.  Don't fret if it sneaks a bit past but the point is the slow rise and then keeping it there.  Since I posted the make I add the cultures at about 28 degrees and ripen at 30 degrees which gives me a 3 degree rise.  This actually gets the curds to a better place, in my opinion.

I'll stop here and let you get comfortable with all that info.

-- Mal     

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 10:46:26 AM »
Mal: Your advice is worth gold - not only for Sarahal88 - we can all learn from it... :-)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 12:59:18 PM »
Thanks for the cheese, Mal.   :D  I'll add something about Caerphilly makes (which you might get to when you get to that point anyway but I'll add my experience to it) which is that if you are concerned about getting a good knit when you are pressing your curds you can choose to press within a pot so that the heat is maintained during the pressing.  I think some people press under whey or with some whey in the bottom and the mold held up off the bottom.  I was doing this inadvertently when I didn't have a press and I pressed inside a bucket by putting the mold up on something to create room for draining whey, and the piling things on top of the mold....things that hopefully stayed balanced but not always and I ended up with some lopsided cheeses.  The heat really helps with curd knit. 

Shane: flower essences (called "flower remedies" in many parts of the world) are a form of vibrational medicine similar in some ways to homeopathy.  My flower essence website is www.foxmountain.net       If you want to see cute baby milk goat photos check out the farm site (still under construction) at www.sovereignhillfarm.com  there's a few cheese photos there too.

Sarahal88

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 02:57:45 PM »
So much great advice, wow, you all are so helpful!

I am going to try this cheese everyone is recommending so highly. I wonder if I could find it at my local cheese shop to taste so I know what I am shooting for?

Keeping the cheese warm while pressing is a big issue for me since I live in a poorly insulated old farmhouse where the temp in the kitchen is about 55 most of the time. Thanks for the tips on curd knit/keeping warm, that should help.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 05:24:24 PM »
Let's all try to describe the taste of Caerphilly.  A Caerphilly is like a cheddar taste sort of.....less sharp because it's not aged as long.  It's generally salty as it was taken by Welsh miners down into the mines and they needed to keep their salt up with all he sweating they were doing. Please note it's been a while since I tasted one.......   ???

Stinky

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 08:20:15 PM »
I've heard it's slightly reminiscent of cheesecake. Sweet, and slightly lemony?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 08:33:11 PM »
I've heard it's slightly reminiscent of cheesecake. Sweet, and slightly lemony?

No lemon taste that I've ever experienced....harder than cheese cake.  it's salty not sweet.   Hmmmmmm.  where was that from?   ;D