Author Topic: 4 lbs of creamy Feta  (Read 2097 times)

GoudaGirl13

4 lbs of creamy Feta
« on: February 21, 2015, 10:58:47 PM »
I always try to keep a good supply of feta cheese in the house. We use it in and on so many things! And enjoy it plain as well. Many friends want me to make them cheese but I don't feel confident enough to promise anyone my aged cheeses - just in case they don't work out as well as I'd hoped.....and if they DO, well then I want to keep them myself. So, I told my friends I would make them fresh cheeses - fresh cheddar cheese curds, Feta, chevre, etc.

Just put a nice big batch (over 4 lbs) into it's final storage brine and some into seperate containers (1/2 lb each). I have kept feta for 6 months and it always seems to impove as it ages!

I don't mold the feta - I hang it in butter muslin for about 36-48 hours, salt brine the round ball of it, then cut into 8 sections and proceed to dry it on racks for a couple days, allowing the brine to work. Then I put it into the final storage brine.

Here are some shots from the process.....

Kern

Re: 4 lbs of creamy Feta
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 11:07:59 PM »
Excellent!  AC4U.

shaneb

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 11:27:34 PM »
Nice. I've had my wife request some feta, so I'll probably make done on Tuesday. What recipe did you follow? Last time I made feta it tasted good but melted in the brine. I don't think I let it dry long enough.

Another cheese for you.

Shane

GoudaGirl13

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 01:12:51 AM »
Thank you both! :)

I tend to combine recipes and then follow my notes, but this is a good basis of what I do -
http://www.cheesemaking.com/Feta.html

I definitely add lipase powder as I feel this adds to the flavour tremedously (I use cow's milk p/h)
I do hang mine, however, and even turn it and rehang it after the first couple hours. I also brine the whole mass (ball'o'feta)  before cutting it as well. But she explains the "curing process" or drying process before the final brine. I follow this for a few days, turning and turning the chunks. Sometimes I even salt the cut sides a tiny bit if they seem wet.

When I make my final storage brine, I always add a cup or two of clear whey from that batch as well as a tiny amount of vinegar and calcium chloride to the prepared salt water brine.

Feta brine - 1 litre of water + 4.5  Tablespoons Salt - 8% brine
I also add 1-2 cups of clear whey from that batch
1 tsp calcium chloride
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
   (Enough for a 2 lb batch - adjust as necessary)

shaneb

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 01:21:18 AM »
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. Last time I definitely added lipase and will do so this time as well.

Shane

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 08:55:43 AM »
Very nice! Have a cheese! :-)