Author Topic: My 6th Brie  (Read 6738 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 6th Brie
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »
I've not tried with raw milk, or LTP, so I can't contribute on that I'm afraid.  I know some people have said you can "see it floc" as the look of the surface changes (probably a change in the way the light reflects off it), and that sounds like something that might happen if it changed suddenly, like you experienced with raw milk.  I use the lightest touch I can when I'm testing, as any nudge will sail the bowl if the milk is liquid, but once it sets it will hold unless you up the force and knock it out of place.  There is, therefor, subjectivity involved, but there is in determining a clean break too.  What I find most interesting is the apparent difference between the gradual set and the sudden set.  If you do get some more raw milk, let us know how it goes.  Hmmm, maybe even make two of the same cheese at the same time, one with raw and one with store bought milk, and compare floc profiles?  :)

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 07:31:07 PM »
Just a quick update to note that I think I spotted the first small spot of white mould on the side.  Will check again this evening and, if confirmed, and I can find the camera, will post a photo.  I love the smell that cam's and brie's add to the cave. 

- Jeff

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 08:24:22 PM »
I'm always (plesantly) surprised when the first signs og white mould shows. I have a bit of doubt each time I make Brie - will the cheese be covered in white mould... ;-)

JeffHamm

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 05:40:14 AM »
Ok, we have confirmed white mould (Feb 27th, 2015).  This morning just the spot on the side was noted, but this evening I also spotted some on what was the bottom face.  Fortunately, both spots seem to have occurred in the middle of a ring of very bright red b.linens.  Anyway, things are progressing fairly normally.  While every book I've read says "mould in 7-10 days" I tend to see first signs of it much sooner (this was made last Sunday, so we're only 5 days in).

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 06:01:05 PM »
Just a mould progress update.  The PC is coming along, developing on both faces (easier to see if you look "cross" the face, but there is a light fuzz all over).  Also, you can see a bit of b.linens as well.  The PC should dominate, but the b.linens (which just show up from the wild as the cheese environment is right for them - this is basically a Muenster protocol which I omit adding b.linens and add PC).  Anyway, once this PC coat is a bit thicker I may wrap and move to the cooler fridge for slower ripening.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 07:23:08 PM »
Looking great Jeff!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 04:19:17 AM »
Mould is developing nicely on the faces, but the sides are all but bare?  Odd, as I usually get mould coverage on the sides long before the faces are done. 

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 07:37:10 AM »
Strange.... Looks a bit dry?

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 02:54:01 AM »
Hi Danbo,

Yes, it is a bit dry.  Will see how it does.  Probably stirred a bit much.  I've had issues with retaining too much moisture when I don't stir and then the cheese collapses and liquifies, so to encourage a bit of whey expulsion I've adapted a muenster make, where there's some stirring, to be a brie.  Will see how it turns out.

- Jeff

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »
Did you put geo in this make Jeff?  I know the one time I did it pretty much took over the PC once it got going.

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »
Hi Al,

I used a piece of rind from a store bought cam, and I would assume it has a bit of geo in there as well.  I don't make bloomy rinds very often (though I should, as I really like them, and they are ready fairly quick) so I haven't bought any spores.  Same when I try my hand at a blue; I just harvest mould from a cheese I like.

- Jeff

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 06:34:33 PM »
It could be a dryness issue also.  I think the geo survives a dry condition better than the PC would so the PC goes away leaving the geo rind.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:02:01 PM by Al Lewis »

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »
I think that it's going to turn out great as all your other cheeses... :-)

JeffHamm

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:13 PM »
I hope, although I've had my fair share of failures.

JeffHamm

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 07:44:14 AM »
Had friends in to visit and we finished off the caerphilly and derby, so cut into this one.  The mould never did develop on the sides, and it never really softened.  It measures 14.3 x 2.9 cm, and weighs 570g, for a density of 1.22 g/cm3.  The paste was not soft or oozing, much more like a stabalized store bought make than a meso brie.  Still, despite the lack of softening the paste was very flavourful, lovely creamy and buttery taste.  The moulds had done their work flavourwise at least.  I'm pretty sure I over stirred and/or drained it too much.  Normally you avoid those things altogether with Brie, but I've had my Brie's and Cams be too full of whey when trying to just move curd to the moulds to drain so I've added these steps.  Has worked int he past, but you have to be careful not to over do it. Next make, and there will be a next make, I'll cut back on these steps and go for a moister version.  Still, while not perfect, it is a very good result.