Author Topic: My 6th Brie  (Read 6730 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: My 6th Brie
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 03:59:17 PM »
Glad to hear you still got to enjoy it.  Jeff, when I look back at your photos it appears that the exterior of the cheese is very dry to the touch.  Could just be the color of the milk.  If it is that dry that could explain the failure of the PC to grow.  It may have formed a rind that was fighting the PC.  I just did 3 cambozolas yesterday and both these, and the bries I make, go into the cave right after salting and coming out of the molds.  The first recipe I used called for them to sit out for several days at room temp but they never grew a lot of PC or softened either.  They, in fact, looked a lot like yours.  Been using the same recipe ever since and it's never failed me yet.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

JeffHamm

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 08:34:28 PM »
Hi Al,

Yes, you're correct.  The outside dried up and formed a rind much more than previous makes.  This make has worked for me in the past, but I think I over did the whey expulsion this time and things firmed up more than they should.  Will try again, but go for a moister make.  Slowly getting there.

- Jeff

Kern

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 04:02:50 AM »
I have a raw milk source and use it exclusively for anything aged over 60 days.  Like Danbo I add some Lysozyme to guard against the possibility of late blowing.  I always get a sharp floc point with this milk - something like 30 seconds from the little plastic cup moving freely to slowing down to being in the snap back mode.  When I lift the cup out I leave a little ring that persists until the curd is cut.  I cut when the calculated cut point is reached and ignore the goal cut time mentioned in some recipes.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:10 AM »
Nice job, Jeff.

That one pic made me think of a huge jelly donut. :P

That's a fine-looking Tilsit/Tomme.  ;)

Next time you'll nail it, but for now...a cheese for a sterling effort.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 10:45:24 PM »
Thanks Boofer.  At least this one didn't get overrun by wild blue.  That's my usual problem.