Author Topic: My First RAw Milk Cheedar and the New Kadova Moulds  (Read 13895 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
My First RAw Milk Cheedar and the New Kadova Moulds
« on: April 11, 2009, 07:09:28 AM »
OKay here's a few pictures - it's almost 3 am here.

I tried to get a shot of the cut curds but I couldn't get a good focus with the camera. I may have to get a new one. SOmetimes it just refuses to focus...

I took a picture of the cheeses after the first hour. I'll add more weight tomorrow. I will say that this is only my second try with Raw milk and it seems to be a heck of alot better all the way around.

Zinger

Re: My First RAw Milk Cheedar and the New Kadova Moulds
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:12:52 AM »
Wow, really nice. Wish I could get raw milk.

wharris

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
Those really look good.  Can I ask a couple of question?

It looks yellow, how much Annatto do you use?
Also, how much salt do you ad and when do you add it?

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »
Looking good, Debi.  I can't wait to get back to cheesemaking!

I still add a bit of coloring to my cheddars, as my family can't get past the non-colored cheese.  Silly folks!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »
Thanks Guys! I love these little moulds they look so pretty.

BTW I order moulds from Dary Connection they sell them in grams the 450 gram unit for $60 is the same one I got from Ullmers for $25 - better jump in there before they're gone!

Zinger -
I am convinced that raw milk makes the difference in the knit. These are the smoothest cheddars I've ever made and I didn't use my press because I was afraid to hurt the moulds even though I think I could probably step on them without fear.

Wayne -
I used a product from Dairy Connections called "DCI Cheese Color DS" which contains ammatto. I put in 10 drops and didn't see a change so I put in 10 more. I just mixed it in bottled water. It never did look like it changed until I started cheddaring.

Weird. I never used color in the past because it seemed strange to me to add something that adds nothing but I just found out my family has been giving away my cheeses all these years because they are white. All that money for nothing! Grrrrr!

I can only fit 4.5 gallons in my chaffing dish setup so I used 3 tablespoons of kosher salt at the begining of the cheedaring process. I think it's Diamond Crystal Salt. Dark blue box about 1.5 pounds I think.

The Cheese curds were yummy! I was going to press them but didn't quite have enough to fill the third mould and it didn't seem to squish enough so I just decide to eat them.

I really have to make another press soon I almost broke a toe when the tomatoes fell off the mould! Ouch!

eVenom

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:06:45 PM »
I still don't get the annato deal I don't care if the cheese is blue, yellow, black, or Fuchsia. although I know some people is affected by the color of food.

thouse curds look fantastic they have a smoothness that I haven't seen with store milk

How long are you going to age them for?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »
THe milk has made great curds both times - it has to be the milk. The curds from my store bought milk are never this firm warm right out of the pot.

I think I'll TRY it save the little one for 6 months and the bigger one for a year.

Dukester

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 11:48:16 PM »
Your cheese looks great!!!  The curds look really large.  Do you stir while heating/waiting or do you try and keep them this size right after you cut them?  What is meant by "cheddaring" vs. "milling"?  Sorry questions, but I'm trying to catch on.

Also, what kind of heat source do you use for the chafing pan?  I need more capacity as my one good stainless pot will only work for about a gallon and a half.

Curtis.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 02:45:14 AM »
Some of the curds are about 1/2" some smaller. That's a cerial bowl.  Yes I do stir while heating. I used a variation on Peter Dixons recipe scaled down to 4.5 gallons.

Cheddar   

For 37.50 lb. (4.5  gallons) pasteurized or raw milk.   

Ingredients:   
1/2 teaspoon  of  MA011 starter culture   
1/2 teaspoon double strength vegetable rennet   
25 drops Annatto   
3 tablespoons flaked salt   

Heat milk to 88° F
   21 ? drops Annatto maybe 25?
   Add 1/2 teaspoon Choozit MA11  starter culture

Ripen with culture for 1 1/2 hours

Add 1/2 teaspoon double strength vegetable rennet

Calculate   Check for the curdling time and multiply this times 3 to get the time from adding rennet to cutting the curd, e.g. 12 min. x 3 = 36 min.
   Cut into 3/8” cubes (pea-sized particles)

Settle curds after cutting for 5 minutes

Stir and heat curds to 95 °F in 30 minutes ( 1° F every 4 minutes)
   Continue stirring and heating to 102° F in 15 minutes (1° F every 2 minutes)

Cook at 102° F for 45-60 minutes until the curds bounce off your hand and feel like pellets and are springy when squeezed. Whey pH 6.1-6.2

Settle curds under the whey for 15 minutes.
   Move curds slowly to the back of the vat to form a pack that is 8 inches deep.
   Drain off the whey and form a trench in the middle of the pack to let the whey escape from the curds. When you are finished draining, there should be two packs of curds on either side of the back of the vat with an 8-10 inch wide trench down the middle. The pack should be about 4 inches deep.
   Whey pH 5.9-6.0 by the time the pack is formed and most of the whey is drained.

Cheddaring Process:   
Wait ten minutes and cut the pack into slabs that are 6 inches wide.   
Turn the slabs over after 15 minutes. Turn again after 15 minutes.   
Cut the slabs to half their length and pile them 2 high.   
Turn the slabs over and pile 3 high after 15 minutes,   
Continue to turn and pile the slabs every 15 minutes up to 7 high if you need to keep moisture in the curds or 4-5 high if you need less moisture.   
Maintain the temperature at 95-100° F during the cheddaring process. This can be checked by sticking a thermometer into the slabs of curd.   

When the whey is pH 5.3-5.4 (acidity of 55-75 degrees), mill the slabs of curd into pieces 1 inch x 2 inches.   
Time from adding culture to milling is around 6-6 1/2 hours.   

Wait ten minutes and add salt. Use coarse flake salt (like Kosher salt)  Salt amount will vary with cheese yield.   
Add the salt in 3 portions and wait 5-10 minutes between each addition. The idea is to let enough salt dissolve into the curds before hooping the curds and pressing them into blocks or wheels. However for smaller batches, two applications will be enough.   

Gather the curds into the forms (blocks or hoops) lined with cheese cloth and move to the press.   

Press with enough pressure to create a smooth rind by the next morning. This is 25 p.s.i. to start. After 30 minutes take of the pressure and tighten the cheese cloths around the cheese. Increase the pressure to 40 p.s.i. for the rest of the time.   

Remove from the press and take the cheese out of the forms. The cheeses can be vacuum sealed or waxed. If muslin cheese cloth is used, it can be left on the rind and waxed over.   

Medium Cheddar is at least 6 months aged   
Sharp Cheddar is one year   
Extra Sharp is 18 months   

Vermont, Canadian, and English Cheddars have higher acidity (55-100 degrees).   
Midwest Cheddar has moderate acidity (45-55 degrees).   

Note:   
The cheese can also be bandaged in 2 layers of cheese cloth dipped in melted lard. After pasting the cheese cloth onto the cheese, the wheel should be returned to the press for another half day or overnight pressing. The bandaged cheeses are drier after aging than the waxed or vac-sealed counterparts. The molds must be scrubbed off of the bandage, especially during the first month and after that only occasionally. An SOS scrubber sponge works well if dipped in a 5% salt brine.   

The process explains cheddaring pretty well. Cheedering is kind of draining the whey in the heated pan by first draining the whey then cutting a trench through the cheese curds. Then  you split the curd bundles and turn them. Each time they stretch out more and drain more whey. It's amazing how much more whey is drained by doing this. I think (my guess) that becuase the curds are still being heated they expell more whey. I believe this also aids in the knitting process becuase you end up pressing warm curds not cold ones as with draining them in a corlander.

I know somewhere on the forum there are videos YouTube maybe? I am never successful at searching for threads or I go find it.  This is the first time I tried cheddaring because of the chaffing dish setup vs a pot. It's make it very much like the way commercial cheese makes do it but on a tiny scale. I'm going to pop a drain spout in the pan to make draining easier as soon as I find the appropriate bulkhead fittings.

The chaffing dish was an idea I got from a post by Gregore. Man it works great and much easier to deal with. You are limited to about 4.5 gallons with a 6 inch pan but they do have 8 inch pan if you need more.

This is where I got mine - it's electric and very steady on temperatures.

http://www.kitchensupplydirect.com/370-ECFRWP.html

Thanks again Gregore!

Dukester

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 03:36:53 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I think I might like the chafer setup.  I've searched the web and about the biggest chafing pan I have been able to find is an 8qt.  Are you using a regular chafing pan with that heater or some other type of pan?

shoelessone

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I think I might like the chafer setup.  I've searched the web and about the biggest chafing pan I have been able to find is an 8qt.  Are you using a regular chafing pan with that heater or some other type of pan?

Thanks for the post, very interesting!

I'm wondering the same thing - is the chafing pan setup in a double boiler configuration?  I can't imagine what would fit a chafing pan (other than a larger chafing pan ;)), but maybe I'm missing something!

zenith1

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:34 PM »
great looking cheese! Are these the moulds that you used? Kadova Cheese Mold CM114

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 05:56:41 AM »
The smaller cheese was the mold from Ullemers. Sorry it took so long to get back to you - having a family emergecy. Just winding down with a cold one before bed.

Dukester

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 02:53:21 AM »
I think I have found a local source for whole fresh milk.  Can you tell me if you pastuerize it before you begin the cheese making process?  If so, can you tell me how that is done?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 05:03:09 AM »
I used an adaptation from Peter Dixons recipe so I didn't other may.

Ingredients:   
1/2 teaspoon  of  MA011 starter culture   
1/2 teaspoon double strength vegetable rennet   
25 drops Annatto   
3 tablespoons flaked salt   

Procedure:
Heat milk to 88° F
25 drops Annatto
Add 1/2 teaspoon Choozit MA11  starter culture

Ripen with culture for 1 1/2 hours

Add 1/2 teaspoon double strength vegetable rennet

Calculate   Check for the curdling time and multiply this times 3 to get the time from adding rennet to cutting the curd, e.g. 12 min. x 3 = 36 min.
Cut into 3/8” cubes (pea-sized particles)

Settle curds after cutting for 5 minutes

Stir and heat curds to 95 °F in 30 minutes ( 1° F every 4 minutes)
Continue stirring and heating to 102° F in 15 minutes (1° F every 2 minutes)

Cook at 102° F for 45-60 minutes until the curds bounce off your hand and feel like pellets and are springy when squeezed. Whey pH 6.1-6.2

Settle curds under the whey for 15 minutes.
Move curds slowly to the back of the vat to form a pack that is 8 inches deep.
Drain off the whey and form a trench in the middle of the pack to let the whey escape from the curds. When you are finished draining, there should be two packs of curds on either side of the back of the vat with an 8-10 inch wide trench down the middle. The pack should be about 4 inches deep.
Whey pH 5.9-6.0 by the time the pack is formed and most of the whey is drained.

Cheddaring Process:   
Wait ten minutes and cut the pack into slabs.   
Turn the slabs over after 15 minutes. Turn again after 15 minutes.   
Cut the slabs to half their length and pile them 2 high.   
Turn the slabs over and pile 3 high after 15 minutes,   
Continue to turn and pile the slabs every 15 minutes up to 7 high if you need to keep moisture in the curds or 4-5 high if you need less moisture.   
Maintain the temperature at 95-100° F during the cheddaring process. This can be checked by sticking a thermometer into the slabs of curd.   

When the whey is pH 5.3-5.4 (acidity of 55-75 degrees), mill the slabs of curd into pieces 1 inch x 2 inches.   
Time from adding culture to milling is around 6-6 1/2 hours.   

Wait ten minutes and add salt. Use coarse flake salt (like Kosher salt)  Salt amount will vary with cheese yield.   
Add the salt in 3 portions and wait 5-10 minutes between each addition. The idea is to let enough salt dissolve into the curds before hooping the curds and pressing them into blocks or wheels. However for smaller batches, two applications will be enough.   

Gather the curds into the forms (blocks or hoops) lined with cheese cloth and move to the press.   

Press with enough pressure to create a smooth rind by the next morning. This is 25 p.s.i. to start. After 30 minutes take of the pressure and tighten the cheese cloths around the cheese. Increase the pressure to 40 p.s.i. for the rest of the time.   

Remove from the press and take the cheese out of the forms. The cheeses can be vacuum sealed or waxed. If muslin cheese cloth is used, it can be left on the rind and waxed over.   

Medium Cheddar is at least 6 months aged   
Sharp Cheddar is one year   
Extra Sharp is 18 months   

Vermont, Canadian, and English Cheddars have higher acidity (55-100 degrees).   
Midwest Cheddar has moderate acidity (45-55 degrees).   

Note:   
The cheese can also be bandaged in 2 layers of cheese cloth dipped in melted lard. After pasting the cheese cloth onto the cheese, the wheel should be returned to the press for another half day or overnight pressing. The bandaged cheeses are drier after aging than the waxed or vac-sealed counterparts. The molds must be scrubbed off of the bandage, especially during the first month and after that only occasionally. An SOS scrubber sponge works well if dipped in a 5% salt brine.