Author Topic: Help Save the Monastic Cheese! (OKA)  (Read 2555 times)

GoudaGirl13

Help Save the Monastic Cheese! (OKA)
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:02:20 AM »
This Monastery located in Manitoba, Canada is in dire straits as there are apparently no young monks/cheesemakers to carry on. I actually live not very far from there and hope to visit in the very near future. (Must be arranged as I am a female and they are very traditional.) Their story is quite interesting...quite sad as well. The local news did a story on the monastery and the head cheesemaker (who is 80 years old) and how the culture for this cheese dates back to the 1700's. Only he is making it now and he is 5 years beyond retirement.

It is the original OKA cheese! Agropur bought the name but not the cultue or recipe. The monks wouldn't sell it.

He says that if he cannot find a replacement to carry on the tradition (all done by hand) then the culture and original texts from 1700's will die along with him.
It breaks my heart to see this happen....even if I wanted to, I couldn't work there as I'm a woman.

Anyone here who would like to become a monk? :)

I cannot find the original newscast but here is some raw footage I found that was edited - Please watch this first.
http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=543284

And here is a short NFB (National film board of Canada) film about the monastery and the cheesemaking. I guess the film is 6 years old now and the young monk working there in the film is not there now? Enjoy!
 http://www.nfb.ca/film/monks_secret

I had to post this here, in the cheese forum.
Perhaps there is someone who is interested? :)

Frodage

Re: Help Save the Monastic Cheese! (OKA)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:37:45 AM »
The secret is in the observation. Very nice.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:32:21 AM »
I'll cross my fingers...

bill shaver

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:55:01 AM »
I've often wondered myself about this cheese, thought it was still made in quebec as well, anyhow wondering if any on here have ever tried making this type of cheese with milk from canadienne cows milk, the cows being on pasture 7 and baled hay and minimal amouts of grain as it would have been years ago....those cows are part of canada's heritage.

GoudaGirl13

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:23:28 PM »
Well, truth be told....I once had some pure raw milk and the same OKA culture we're talking about rigght here in my home. It wasgiven to me about 3.5 years ago, when I had first expressed an intrest in making cheese. I believe it was Father Alberiq, himslef, who had sent along the milk, culture, and even some rennet through mutual friends.

At that particular time, though, I had only ever made paneer cheese and had no idea on any other method. I was just starting. I recieved, along with the milk and culture, a small torn piece of paper with two short lines written in pencil on it - instructions! But I had no understanding of the cheesemaking process then. I also had no idea what the culture was about or how precious it was.

Instead of using the culture, I made my first mozzarella using instructions from the internet. It turned out so perfectly wonderful and set me off on my journey to learn more and to learn how to do it as a true artist (which I am in several mediums). :)

Where I live is so devoid of cheesemakers, artists and artisans, organic anything...I have always felt very isolated in my artistic endeavours.....most people I know physically nearby simply think it's weird to want to do things for yourself, let alone actually make cheese - especially wheen you can buy cheap cheese at the store! I truly had no idea what the monastery was doing, the tradition they are carrying on, the importance of it all. I wish I had known sooner. I have always said that I would LOVE to be in the presence of a cheesemaker making cheese even just ONCE! A dream yet to be fullfilled.

I am hoping that, somehow, I can visit there and see what we could "work out", if anything. Certainly, I would keep some culture alive if I were fortunate enough to receive some again!

If/when I do, I will certainly update this thread and let you all know what happened.

Meanwhile, if you know any potential monks who would enjoy a lifestyle like this, PLEASE let me (or the Monastery) know!!! Time is of the essence!  :)

bill shaver

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 06:43:04 PM »
wow, you should vist this summer down east in Qubec, magdalene islands, the Pied du vent farm, they milk canadienne cows, local fodder fed,  reminded me of britianny & normadie in france,and sell their cheese, check out on line, you'll find their cheese for sale in specialty cheese shops in quebec, maby ontario, but dont quote me...sounds like you like this idea, yes i comented about it at school in 70's & 80' of recent at s chool in usa new york stste, got guffaws, but now trade agreement abound for the corp collectives, swallowing up remenants of the farm, and most thouthgt totalian regiems were gone...HA! now its corp collectives .....running things ...soviet union proved it does not work! the rest are running ito it.

but enough of that....

Spoons

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 12:19:13 AM »
Thanks for the links, Goudagirl. I saw the CTV news coverage about a month ago, but did not know there was a 30 minute documentary.  Pretty interesting! Their way of life is not for everyone though. I'd gladly take a 2 month sabbatical to live the experience, but no lifetime commitment for me.

john H

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 05:19:06 PM »
Very  informative thanks for sharing. My wife and I love oka with mushrooms in it. So I have started my quest.

John