Author Topic: My cows milk pepato.  (Read 4913 times)

bratrules1

My cows milk pepato.
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:27:17 AM »
Here is a pepato i made 5 months ago. I vacuumed sealed after about two months in may cave and giving the rind the olive oil treatment. How long should I keep aging it for? Also I want to make another one but this one I would like to coat in black pepper can anybody tell how I go about doing that? Anyway here are a few pics. Now I didn't get the closed rind I wanted I think that it was a bit cold in my house and the curds cooled to quick. But am sure it will still be a great cheese.

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: My cows milk pepato.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:31:10 AM »
A cheese for your fine cheese. :-)

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 03:18:13 PM »
Yes, have a cheese.

Depends on how you like it. For a mild, delicious cheese, I opened one at around 40 days and it was wonderful. So I'd imagine if you cracked it now it'd be good, or even longer. There's really no upper time limit, unless you don't want to have to grate it.

bratrules1

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 05:40:08 PM »
Am looking for a table cheese. But I would like to be sharp and nutty. Also does anyone have any idea on how I can make a pepato coated with black pepper? Am looking to make a pepato toscano coated with black pepper.

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
It'll probably be fairly sharp and nutty now... You can also crack it and if you don't like it yet stick the rest back in and vacuum it again.

bratrules1

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:10:47 AM »
It'll probably be fairly sharp and nutty now... You can also crack it and if you don't like it yet stick the rest back in and vacuum it again.

I wish I could try it but I don't have a vacuum sealer at the moment the reason I was able to seal this one cause a friend did it for me. Am going to wait to till I get my hands on a sealer. I've been meaning to buy one I just don't have the extra cash at the moment.

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:41:23 AM »
Ah, I see. :)

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »
Am going to wait to till I get my hands on a sealer. I've been meaning to buy one I just don't have the extra cash at the moment.
I got this "cheap" vacuum sealer pump for one of my sons last Christmas for using when cooking sous vide.  He is very particular and loves it because you can use with marinated meats or that have excess liquids (which would normally get sucked into the sealing area and screw things up).  Even though I have a Vacmaster I bought one for $5 just to test and would recommended it for "frugal" cheese makers :).

bratrules1

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »
Hey thanks for the heads up John@PC I think am going to buy one of those. Am sure it will work in a pinch. I wonder if they sell those at any department stores. Like target or Walmart? That way I don't have to fork out for the shipping. Which most likely will more that the sealer.

bratrules1

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 10:56:37 PM »
So I bought one of those Ziploc vacuum sealers and I decided to crack open the pepato today. And wow the flavor was spot on though my next one I think I will leave it in the brine a few hours more. To me it was lacking a tad bit of salt. But everyone in my house thinks am crazy. Other than that wow this nice and sharp with a good amount of nuttiness. I want to start working on another one soon. I wondering how I can make one coated in black pepper? If anybody knows how I can go about that I would love that info. BTW thanks John@PC for letting me know about that Ziploc sealer this thing will work till I can buy another one.   

John@PC

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 10:35:28 PM »
Thanks bratrules1.  I still use my Vacmaster but would have opted for the lower-cost option had I known.  What was the base cheese type for your Pepito?

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 05:01:52 AM »
Looks very nice. Have a cheese! :-)

bratrules1

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 03:47:21 AM »
Thanks bratrules1.  I still use my Vacmaster but would have opted for the lower-cost option had I known.  What was the base cheese type for your Pepito?

I went with a Pecorino Toscano as a base. But use cows milk alas I had no sheeps milk. I want to make one just coated with black pepper but I dont know how to go about that.

qdog1955

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 09:45:32 AM »
You might try making a paste with super fine pepper and olive oil and rub it down, the way some of us have done the smoked paprika----but I would think that black pepper might be over powering.
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »
Brat, just for comparison, I picked up a FoodSaver FM2000 from Walmart for $59 -- that price was after a $10 coupon that was on the box. This is a very basic model, but it seems to work great -- I am loving it! Note that I found different Walmarts carrying different selections of the FoodSavers -- the first one I went to only had more expensive models. I think you can check on-line to see which stores carry this. (I just now did that -- this model is only available in store, not on-line ... but that is good, because you want to find a box that has the $10 coupon on it!)

As far as the pepper coating, I would echo Qdog's suggestion. If you are concerned that the pepper would be too strong, consider cutting it with something like paprika, or even something like coffee or cocoa. (I seem to remember a New England Cheesemaking recipe for jack cheese with a coating that included some combination of pepper, coffee, cocoa, and possibly the kitchen sink. :))

-- Andy