Author Topic: My jack cheese. is this okay?  (Read 4183 times)

Kern

Re: My jack cheese. is this okay?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 05:59:25 PM »
Well here it is after about 2 months... is it possible for this cheese to make me sick? Im concerned about trying it.

Sorry for this kind of question  but im used to beer, where it might taste bad but will never make you sick. Im going to open it up and study it anyway...

I like creeping up on questions like yours to suggest a possible answer.  Assuming you used P&H milk and used good hygiene in preparing the cheese there is probably nothing in your cheese that will kill you.  First, cut off all the mold.  Then open it up.  If the smell doesn't revolt you and the color and internal consistency seem "normal" then go ahead and taste a small bit.  If it has any "off flavors" (acidic, vinegar, bitter, metallic, etc.) then spit, rinse your mouth well and toss the cheese.  If it tastes OK then swallow a small amount and watch for symptoms:  stomach ache or cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.  If you get these then toss the cheese after you recover.  If not try a little more in a couple of days and repeat the process.

If your "investment" in this cheese is enough to go through the above then by all means do it as it wouldn't be fair to feed it to someone else or the cat without your trying it first.   :P

qdog1955

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 06:53:40 PM »
Remember the old saying-----"If in doubt-----try it on the neighbors kids"  >:D -----bear in mind if they get sick----you will probably get sued---big time!!!   So I really don't recommend this method.
Qdog

fredthecat

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »
thanks, i do appreciate the comments. i know the rules for trying something new-smell carefully, put on tongue for a minute, etc- just needed that push. ill try it and see how it went...

fredthecat

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »
final post in this thread i hope-

i cut it open, it was solid and pure white inside. i tasted a bit right from the middle, it was very, very salty and mild cheese, sort of like feta. i tasted a different piece that may have touched the outside a bit, tasted like onion. i dont know what i'll do with it. not what i wanted, edible if i was desperate i guess. i bagged it and sanitized the whole container... time for a new chees.e

Stinky

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 01:56:57 PM »
A cheese for trying!

I know failures can be disheartening. But now you know not to rub with dry salt every day.  :) That's a win.

Kern

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 02:56:25 PM »
A cheese from me for learning from a failure and then moving on with the knowledge gained!   :)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
A cheese from me as well. My crystal ball says that your next make will go much, much better! :)
-- Andy