Author Topic: Camembert resource  (Read 1966 times)

kate

Camembert resource
« on: April 12, 2009, 02:57:37 AM »
Hi everyone,

i'm new to the forum, and have been gratefully devouring your cheese reports - for which thanks!
i have been trying to troubleshoot my own fledgling camemberts. in contrast to some of the reports of very moist and runny cheese i've seen here, mine end up with decent flavour, but a very firm pate, no matter how careful i am to retain moisture in the curds. (more about this another time, i am trying extended ripening period....a la finewino advice)

anyway, in my cyber travels i came across this document:

http://www.archive.org/stream/camembertcheesep00thomiala/camembertcheesep00thomiala_djvu.txt

it was written over 100 years ago (!), and is about camembert manufacturing in factories, but i found lots of useful information about how different parameters affect ripening, and also about other organisms that can emerge during ripening and how they affect the cheese.

just thought i'd throw it up here in case anyone else finds it useful. it's kind of lengthy and not all relevant, but has useful table of contents.

cheers,

Kate.

eVenom

Re: Camembert resource
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:02:29 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!

WOW! where the ____ did you find this... Good work if it wasn't midnight I would read it now but I guess it will have to wait till tomorrow!

and if you post you procedure in here there might be some people that will help you that has experience on this type of cheese.. Good Luck!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
Nice read Kate! Thanks for posting it!

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
Thanks Kate and welcome to this forum, nice find, have to go work now so will also read later, looking forward to some of info and pictures of your Camemberts!

kate

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:11:03 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes,

in reply to eVenom, i found it by googling 'camembert chemistry' or something similar....i was trying to avoid all the purely descriptive stuff and get closer to what is going on in cheese. (i'm a scientist by training, i confess!)

best,

kate