Author Topic: My First Parm  (Read 5074 times)

JeffHamm

My First Parm
« on: February 28, 2015, 05:42:25 AM »
I've decided I should make a parm for next Christmas as we're going to be visiting family and I can take this with me.  So, here's the make plan for tomorrow.  If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free.  I'll check before I get started to see if anyone has spotted some glaring mistakes.  I got this protocol from the forum years ago, but I'm not sure who originally posted it as I seem to not have recorded that information. 

A couple of things to note if you are used to making Meso cheeses.  First, you will want to drop your rennet down.  I normally use 1.6 ml of this rennet to get a floc in the 10-15 minute range for meso type cheeses.  For this, with the higher temp and different acidity curve of thermophillic starters, your rennet will work differently.  I've dropped to 1.1 ml, so just under 70% of the usual amount of rennet.  I also wanted it to set a bit more slowly, and at 17 minutes when I removed the floc tester bucket it was just leaving an impression. 
Second, you will expel a lot more whey, so the cheese will be shorter than others from the same volume of milk.  That's fine, it's just water that you've lost.  This might be an issue if you stack weights to press.  I had to add some additional "lego" to my weight stack or the weights would just rest on the top of the mould.
Third, the cheesecloth will stick when you are pressing it!  After the first hour in the press, remove the cheesecloth and press naked (I mean the cheese; what you do with yourself is not my business). 

Parmesan (Sunday, Mar 1, 2015)

6 Litres Silver Top (cream line 4% fat, 3.1 g/100ml  protein)
4 Litres Home Brand Light blue (1.5% fat, 3.7 g/100 ml protein)
1 Litre Home Brand Trim (0.5% fat, 3.9g/100ml protein; total p:f ratio = 1.22:1 – target 1.25:1; next time, 3 Light blue and 2 trim = 1.27:1)
1.1 ml 280 IMCU calf rennet (baseing on my previous Bitto makes)
4 tbls yogurt (Or strep thermo, and LH)
1/16th tsp Lacto.Halviticus
1/8th tsp calf lipase in warm water
¼ tsp CaCl2 (50% solution)

1.   Add CaCl2 while setting up
2.   Add starter and lipase and warm the milk to 38 C (38.0 C; 7:33)
3.   allow the mixture to ripen for 45 minutes (7:33 - 8:18; 37.5 C)
4.   warm back to 38.0 and add Rennet (8:21:00) floc time (8:38:00 = 17m 00s 2.5x = 42m 30s = cut time 9:03:30)  (if you are used to meso cheeses, you probably will need to cut back on your rennet amount; also aim for slightly longer floc, and over 15 -20 min  is ok)
5.   Cut to ½ cm cubes (9:04 - 9:10)
6.   Allow the curds to sit for 10 minutes to firm up.  (9:10 - 9:20)
7.   Slowly raise the temperature of the milk to 124 F (51.5 C).  It should take as long as 45 minutes to reach this temperature.  During this time, gently stir the curds every few minutes so they don't mat together. (9:30 - 10:18 C 38.0 - 51.8 C)
8.   Keep the curds at this temperature for another 15-30 minutes until very small and firm. (10:18 - 10:45)
9.   Drain the whey by pouring through a cheesecloth lined colander.    (10:55)
10.   Carefully place the drained curds into your cheesecloth lined mold.
11.   Press the cheese at about 10 kg for 30 minutes.    (11:00 - 11:30)
12.   flip and redress, then press at 20 kg 30 minutes (11:30 – 12:07)
13.   flip and REMOVE cheesecloth (it will stick), then press at 30 kg over night (12:10 – 5:30 -8:33 pm reduced to 15kg as things tilted but knit is fantastic already - 6:20; 1186g, 15.8x5.2 = 1019cm3 = 1.16g/cm3) Note, without the cheesecloth, the cheese gets stuck in the mould.   
14.   Float the cheese in a COLD brine solution** for 30 hours.  Be certain to flip the cheese over at least three times to ensure even rind development. (??:?? - ??:??)
15.   Remove and pat dry
16.   Place the cheese in your cave to age for at least five months (longer for stronger flavor).  You will need to flip the cheese over every day for the first two weeks and then at least once weekly or it will dry unevenly. 
17.   Inspect daily for mold.  Should mold develop on the cheese surface, simply remove it using a paper towel dipped in white vinegar. 
18.   After three, six and nine months of aging, rub the surface of the cheese with olive oil.  Do not wax this cheese.

I made ricotta, raised to 92.8 C, added 50/50 cider/white vinegar (ran out of cider vinegar, otherwise I just use that), and let it set for 30 minutes.  Didn't seem to get a huge amount, but what I did get was very fluffy.  The proteins seemed to stay in the whey rather than float up to be scooped off. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:46:37 PM by JeffHamm »

Stinky

Re: My First Parm
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »
I'm going to suggest oiling it more often. I tend to oil my cheeses weekly/biweekly and they don't really get too much mold at all. Right now I have a waxed parm because someone here (can't quite remember who) was saying that with a two gallon make it dries out pretty quickly. So I waxed it at close to two months. We'll see.

shotski

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 03:25:34 PM »
Thanks for the notes Jeff. I still have to try a Parmesan.

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:41:39 PM »
Thanks.  Yah, I'll probably oil a bit more often.  I've started the make now, tweaking a few things (i.e. I added some LH, and such) and will modify notes as things go along.

shotski

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »
Don't forget the pic's. I really like your quote.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
Jeff you've really inspired me to make one of these and age it out properly.  As soon as I get the stilton and cambozolas out of the cave I think I will clean it out, again, to remove any lingering molds and try a 8 gallon make.  I love good parm and have yet to make any.  I did do a modified part recipe trying to immulate dubliner. Still aging.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:39:42 PM »
Hi shotski,

Pics will go up when the cheese is out of the brine, so won't be for a bit yet.  Here's the heat rise (cooking) chart.  Did pretty well.  Finally got to 51.5 at 10:18.  Better a bit slower than too fast.  Will be going into the mound within 30 minutes.  This is a pretty fast cheese to make, actually.  The curds are really firm.  The use of cream line milk really improves the curds, also, the high protein level relative to the fat also helps.  I find homogenization seems to be the big killer in terms of curd strength when using store bought milk.  I really should work out cream line and low fat milk mixes for all my cheeses rather than going with the 3.2% P/H milk most times.

Go for it Al.  I've got a Romano which is about 4 years old.  I've got some Montasio's that are over 2 years as well, and I use them for my grating cheese (hence the long life of the Romano).  I'm taking this one to family next Christmas, so it won't make it that long.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 11:22:14 PM »
It's in the press now.  After an hour (2nd flip) the knit is looking fantastic, and the cloth was starting to stick to the cheese.  So, from here on out I'm pressing naked, as Boofer would say.  I'm expecting nubbins.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 11:30:04 PM »
Got to love them nubbins!!  They go away all on their own, or when you lay the cheese down. LOL ;D

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 05:51:22 PM »
Hi,

Ok, here it is out of the press this am getting read for it's brine bath.  Currently, weighs in at 1186g, measures 15.8 x 5.2 ; well, 5.4 on one side and 5.0 on the other.  The weights shifted in the day, so I flipped the cheese and lowered the weight to 15kg over night as the knit looked perfect already.  Anyway, that gives us 1019 cm3, and a density of 1.16 g/cm3.  I've put it in the brine and, because the cheese floats and the top emerges, I place the follower on top and that pushes it under the water a bit - but covers the top too, but at least I feel better! :)  Anyway, will brine for 24 - 30 hours and then the wait begins.

- Jeff

LoftyNotions

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 06:16:44 PM »
Looking good, Jeff.

Larry

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »
Thanks Larry.  You can see that my mould has split a bit and the crack is visible on the top of the cheese.  Doesn't show up so much when a cloth is used, but quite noticeable when pressing without it.  Also, getting the cheese out of the mould was quite tricky without the cloth as it seals itself in.  Had to use a knife to break the liquid suction seal and even then it was quite happy to remain in the mould.  Fortunately, it eventually made its way out into the world.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2015, 08:05:41 PM »
Looks great Jeff! 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 05:25:43 AM »
It's in the press now.  After an hour (2nd flip) the knit is looking fantastic, and the cloth was starting to stick to the cheese.  So, from here on out I'm pressing naked, as Boofer would say.  I'm expecting nubbins.
Ah, Jeff, you devil!  :)

I had the problem with cloth (Plyban, actually) sticking to the Tomme I did yesterday. I added a little vinegar to some whey and eased the cloth away from the wheel. Ta da!

Thanks Larry.  You can see that my mould has split a bit and the crack is visible on the top of the cheese.  Doesn't show up so much when a cloth is used, but quite noticeable when pressing without it.  Also, getting the cheese out of the mould was quite tricky without the cloth as it seals itself in.  Had to use a knife to break the liquid suction seal and even then it was quite happy to remain in the mould.  Fortunately, it eventually made its way out into the world.

I've had trouble removing a naked wheel from its mould because the nubbins acted like lots of little fingers holding it fast. The way that I got it dislodged was to carefully slam the mould against my palm. That does remove a few of the nubbins, but the wheel is otherwise okay.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:41:30 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 05:05:28 PM »
Hi Boofer,

Yah, I tried slapping the bottom, but it wasn't going to move, at least not as easily as I hoped.  I had poured whey over the cloth before putting the curds in, but that didn't prevent the sticking.  Still, got there in the end.  Looking forward to this one.

- Jeff