Author Topic: Belper Knolle  (Read 6542 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Belper Knolle
« on: March 01, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »
Jim from NEC just posted a make for Belper Knolle, and I have to try this! Just a few days ago I made some fresh cheese out of the whole milk from my favorite Jersey, and ended up with way more than I know what to do with. I think it will be just right for this recipe, which adds pink salt, and fresh garlic to the finished cheese, then it is rolled in cracked black pepper, making balls a little larger than golf balls. Dried at low air temp (a problem for me in California), then into the cave - he specifies 75 to 80% humidity (another problem for me since I tend to go over 90%), and age for about 6 weeks.

We will see!!
Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Belper Knolle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:54:48 PM »
Just had fun making these!  I used ground up garlic I dried last season, and the pink salt as specified. I ran out of the pepper, and wanted to try some variety, so two got coated with smoked paprika!

I am concerned about drying them as my "cave" runs 88-90% humidity. I could let them set on a counter at room temp which is about 68 degrees, and rather dry here in California, or I could put them in the cave at 55 degrees with a desiccant container close by. Any suggestions?
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 07:58:03 PM »
I take it you used coarse ground pepper Susan?  Does the garlic have to be dried?  How about the minced stuff in the jar?  Looks like fun!!! ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:08:13 PM »
Here is the link to the full recipe....
http://www.cheesemaking.com/BKnolle.html
Jim says he uses fresh garlic. I was nervous about it, and only had dried on hand anyway...
The peppercorns were toasted in a dry pan, then coarse ground in a coffee grinder I reserve for spices.
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 09:34:21 PM »
Thanks a million!  Looks like a fun project!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:53:37 PM »
A bonus with these is that you can open them at various ages.

Offline kstaley

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 07:58:57 PM »
I am concerned about drying them as my "cave" runs 88-90% humidity. I could let them set on a counter at room temp which is about 68 degrees, and rather dry here in California, or I could put them in the cave at 55 degrees with a desiccant container close by. Any suggestions?

Susan -
I dry and age my cheeses at home in a small wine cooler that has a temperature knob. I find that I can regulate the humidity fairly well by placing a small (personal-sized), battery-powered fan inside the unit -- I found one with a clasp that I can attach to a shelf so that the blades can freely circulate. As for humidity, if I want more than a bowl of water with cheesecloth as wicking can provide, I place a sanitized travel-sized humidifier inside my wine cooler and run it periodically.  Hope that helps!
Eat Cheese :)

Offline kstaley

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »
Just had fun making these!  I used ground up garlic I dried last season, and the pink salt as specified. I ran out of the pepper, and wanted to try some variety, so two got coated with smoked paprika!

I, too, have been eager to try making these after reading about them in a cheese magazine last year!  Have you tasted them yet, Susan?  I am planning to use MM100 culture or Flora Danica in mine instead of the pre-measured packets ... I compared the strains of bacteria and they should be quite similar.  I'll also use fresh, chopped garlic in mine.  I heard a clip online that explained how the Swiss gentleman who created this cheese (Herr Glauser) experimented with some of them by infusing them with Calvados.  Have a listen here: http://www.chaesglauser.ch/index.php/belper-knolle .  I'll be trying this technique as well :)
Eat Cheese :)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 12:45:29 AM »
I am definitely following this thread!  AC4U for being adventuresome!   :D

terranostra

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »
Wow! That looks absolutely amazing and yummy!!!

I love home cheese making too and would love to try it at least once in my life jejeje Do you mind if I ask you which cheese culture did you use?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:01:35 PM by terranostra »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 12:57:10 PM »
terranostra, welcome to the forum! Where are you in Italy? I was in Florence and Venice earlier this summer -- a brief but wonderful visit.
-- Andy

terranostra

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »
terranostra, welcome to the forum! Where are you in Italy? I was in Florence and Venice earlier this summer -- a brief but wonderful visit.

Thanks!! It will be lovely to learn from you all here :)

Yes we are in Italy, We live near Laggo Maggiore (north Italy) ;)