Author Topic: Colby Recipes - Which One?  (Read 3526 times)

cindybman

Colby Recipes - Which One?
« on: March 01, 2015, 11:21:27 PM »
First, I would like to hijack my own post: I made my second cheese (sorta')! I made cultured butter!  Baby steps, right? :) It was easy and fun and turned out great!  Only one little hitch... it's very mild/subtle.  It doesn't have a lot of taste.  The only usable cream I could find was Bordens and I think the lack of taste in the butter is from the quality of the cream. I don't know if I added more cultures, would it give it a stronger flavor?  Anyway, I have a reputable raw milk dairy/supplier near by so I will be using raw milk (separated) to make my butter next time.

OK.  I want to make Colby.  I went through my books and found three recipes... one includes brining.  I really don't know which to chose. The recipes are similar; yet some steps are greatly different.  Each recipe uses 2 gallons (7.6L) of whole milk, yet the quantity of the other ingredients varies.  The pressing process is all over the map, as well.

I am including abbreviated versions of each recipe... I will leave out things like "stir", options I won't use and other non-necessary essentials... just enough to give you the info you need (I think!).  I don't mind which recipe I use -- I've read them through completely and I don't believe there is any equipment I am missing nor do any of the steps seem to be more than I can handle.

I apologize for my wordiness today!  I hope I haven't made your eyes glaze over!

Again, this forum is amazing and I appreciate any help or advice you can share!

The recipes are in no particular order:

1st -- from Ricki the Cheese Queen p.120
2 gallons whole milk
1 packet direct-set mesophilic starter how much is one packet? 1/4 tsp? which meso starter? aren't there several meso's to choose from?
4 drops annatto diluted in 1/4C water
1/2 tsp liquid rennet "  "    "      "
2 Tblsp cheese salt
Cheese wax

Heat milk to 86F. Add starter; ripen 1 hr.
Add coloring. Keep milk at 86F. Add rennet. Cover, set +/- 30 minutes
Cut curds. Let set.
Heat curds to 102F. Maintain for 30 minutes.
Drain whey. Add 60F water until curds are 80F. Maintain 15 minutes.
Drain curds for 20 minutes.
Break curds into smaller pieces, salt, mix well.
Place curds in mould.  20 pounds for 20 minutes
Turn over. 30 pounds for 20 minutes.
Repeat, 40 pounds for 1 hour.
Repeat, 50 pounds for 12 hours.
Air dry several days (dry to touch)
Wax. Age.

2nd -- from "Making Artisan Cheese" p.106
2 gallons whole milk
1/4 tsp direct-set mesophlic culture again, which exact meso starter?
4 drops annatto diluted in 1/4 C water
1/8 tsp calcium chloride "  "  "   "
1 tsp liquid rennet         "  "  "   "
2 Tbsp cheese salt

Heat milk to 86F. Cover, ripen for one hour. Add calcium chloride. Add annatto.
Maintain 86F. Add rennet. Sit 40 minutes at 86F.
Cut curds. Let rest for 5 minutes @ 86F.
Heat curds to 102F. Maintain for 30 minutes.
Draw off whey. Add 60F water until curds are 80F. Maintain 15 minutes.
Drain curds 20 minutes at room temp. Mill curds add salt.
Mould. Press 20 pounds for 30 minutes.
Unwrap, turn, re-wrap; 20 pounds for 30 minutes (again).
Repeat; 40 pounds for 1 hour
Repeat; 50 pounds for 12 hours
Air-dry for several days.
When dry to touch, wax.
Age.

3rd -- from "Artisanal Cheese Making" p.117
2 gallons pasteurized whole cow's milk
1/2 tsp Meso II
1/4 tsp liquid annatto diluted in 1/4 C water
1/2 tsp. CaChloride         "     "    "       "
1/2 tsp liquid rennet       "     "    "       "
Kosher salt or Cheese salt

Heat milk to 86F. Turn off heat.
Add started, Cover and maintain at 86F.  I removed this from the heat; but I take it now I return it to the heat to maintain?
Ripen for 1 hours.
Add annatto; add CaChloride; add rennet.
Cover; maintain 86F; 30-45 minutes; curds have clean break. Cut curds.
Heat to 104F. Turn off heat; maintain 104F maintain temp without heat?. Rest 15 minutes.
Remove whey; replace whey with 102F water. Rest 10 minutes.
Drain curds 5 minutes.
Mould. Press 5 pounds for 1 hour.
"Flip" process; 10 pounds for 12 hours.
Medium-heavy brine (26oz salt/1gal water) at 50F-55F; place unmoulded cheese in brine; maintain 50F-55F; 8 hours.
Remove from brine. Air dry for about 24 hours (dry to touch).
Wax. Age.

Kern

Re: Colby Recipes - Which One?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:26:57 AM »
These recipes appear remarkably similar.  Except for some minor details 1 and 2 are almost identical.  They are what Caldwell would call "Cool Water Washed Curd Cheeses".  The third is what shed call "Same Temperature Washed Curd Cheese".  I would expect that the third recipe would call for less pressing pressure because the curds are warmer when pressed.  Indeed this is the significant difference between the third and the first two.

With respect to the cultures:  They are all mesophilic.  There are likely some minor differences between them that would only show up in a side by side tasting of the final product.  You can learn a lot about cultures from Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking.  Read the appropriate sections again and look closely at the tables.  All the cultures you listed share many of the same bacteria.   8)

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 02:28:24 AM »
What mesophilic starters do you have?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 03:29:40 AM »
I would recommend having a look at the 'Whey Removal' and be aware that it's not all of it. 25% - 50% and this can make a huge difference to the cheese.  The more Whey you remove the more lactose you are removing from the Cultures ability to make acid.  This will affect the taste and the storage potential.  So again .. this is a 'It Depends' suggestion.  The sweeter cheese you are aiming for then remove more whey.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:41:11 AM »
 I always tell people considering washed curd to check these Tips ---they will really help your efforts.     http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13477.msg102711.html#msg102711
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
Well I don't know how everyone else feels but personally I made two colby's when I first started out.  Washed one with merlot, instead of water, and ended up with two very unremarkable cheeses.  There are others out there just as easy to make that you might get more pleasure out of making.  Just a thought.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »
Yeah. Colby was not my favorite of those I made either. But who knows what the OP's tastes are.

qdog1955

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:55:26 PM »
I agree with Al----and I love a good Colby----mine never seem to quite make the grade.
Qdog

cindybman

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:57:19 PM »
First, thank you for all the replies! It is truly appreciated.

Stinky (I have to tell you, that was my nickname until I was 13.  Found out my Dad gave me that name because of my diapers.  I am assuming that your name relates to cheese.  :) )  My mesophilic starters are:  CHOOZIT MM100-101, Meso Aroma Type B, Meso Direct Set C101, Meso MA4000, Meso Type II, CHOOZIT MA11-14-16-19,

Kern Thank you for the reference. I have the book you mentioned... when looking for Colby recipes, I saw Caldwell's washed-curd cheeses; but since the name didn't specify "Colby"... I didn't pursue it.  I have to guiltily admit that I haven't done my homework.  I just wanted to jump right in. *pouting* I'll go read now. :)

Ozzie I need to do some reading so I can start to understand what I am doing and why.  I have Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking (Caldwell), The Cheesemaker's Apprentice (Davies), Mastering Cheese (McCalman/Gibbons), and The Science of Cheese (Tunick).  As I mentioned to Kern, I have been lax about doing the research.  I had read just enough to start my journey with Cottage Cheese and Butter.  I am realizing that even so I can read the recipe and feel secure with the steps, I need to know *what* I am doing and *why*.

Qdog Thanks for the link! I haven't clicked it yet but as soon as I'm done with my replies, I'll be checking it out.

Al & Stinky I am beginning to re-think my choice of Colby.  It's such a mild cheese to begin with and I think with my first few cheeses I would like to make something more taste-substantial.  Especially until I start getting raw milk... when I made my butter with Borden Cream, it turned out very well but just without much taste.  I don't think the quality of the cream can give me that cheesy/butter taste I like.

Again, Thank you ALL for your help! You rock.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:02:22 PM by cindybman »

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:55 PM »
I'd suggest using Meso II, then.

I mean it's not bad, but there are plenty of cheese I'd rather make first? You could make asiago. It doesn't have to be aged too long and, when young, while mild, is still really good. Even better if you have lipase.

cindybman

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 07:55:30 AM »
Stinky, Asiago sounds like a great choice. What about a blue? Is that too advanced?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 02:06:07 PM »
Blues are relatively easy if you do the right one.  Some, like gorgonzola, can get complicated.  You can do a stilton fairly easy.  You will need an open ended mold and will want to get one at least large enough for a 4 gallon make.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »
Since you're just starting, I'd recommend doing less complicated things first.

cindybman

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 06:49:56 PM »
Back to the drawing board.

Stinky

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
Asiago? Jack? Tomme?