Author Topic: Colby Recipes - Which One?  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Colby Recipes - Which One?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 09:07:21 PM »
I fail to understand how you consider a stilton make to be complicated Stinky however, I would suggest you get a copy of 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes, if you don't have one, and peruse it for something you feel comfortable with making.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 10:15:40 PM »
I fail to understand how you consider a stilton make to be complicated Stinky however, I would suggest you get a copy of 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes, if you don't have one, and peruse it for something you feel comfortable with making.

There are just a few more variables. In the simpler semi-hard cheeses, you don't have to worry about mold except learning how to maintain a proper rind that isn't too dry or moldy.

cindybman

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »
These are all great pieces of information.  I love books and can't have enough... I should look at the 100 Easy Recipes (incorrect title).

The less variables, I'm sure is better for me at this point.

I just found out I will probably be out of town this weekend; I had planned to make cheese.  At least this will give me a chance to read Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking and Cheesemaker's Apprentice.

Kern

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »
These are all great pieces of information.  I love books and can't have enough... I should look at the 100 Easy Recipes (incorrect title).

The less variables, I'm sure is better for me at this point.

I just found out I will probably be out of town this weekend; I had planned to make cheese.  At least this will give me a chance to read Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking and Cheesemaker's Apprentice.

A wag once said the we learn through our mistakes but it is usually cheaper to learn through the mistakes of others.  Dig into the Caldwell book and be sure to take her little quizzes at the end of some of the chapters.   A)

cindybman

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »
I'm weird because I actually enjoy quizzes.  ???

Thanks!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
A wag once said the we learn through our mistakes but it is usually cheaper to learn through the mistakes of others.  Dig into the Caldwell book and be sure to take her little quizzes at the end of some of the chapters.   A)

One of my colleagues likes to say, "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgment." :)
-- Andy

Guiseppe

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
Love it.  A friend of mine once commented that the only lessons you truly learn in life either cost you money or leave you with scar tissue.