Author Topic: What's happening with this Leerdammer?  (Read 4360 times)

qdog1955

What's happening with this Leerdammer?
« on: March 04, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
  This is my 5th Leerdammer---all have went well----all the same recipe-----on this make, I had a blonde (excuse me, it's now gray ) moment----upon removing from mold, I let this air dry for almost 24 hrs., before realizing it was supposed to be in a brine bath, and then did the brine. Now here is what is happening-----after the 2 week cold phase (40 degrees )---I started the warm phase, supposed to be 65 degrees-----cheese room is way to cold, so I'm using the canner on a warming plate. Temp range is 64 to 68 degrees. Check the pics----you will see the cheese has "flowed". It went from 7" to 9" in diameter and 3" to 1 1/4" thickness. The photo of the Asiago, is the size the Leer' was last week.
  Any ideas what is happening here?  Must say, the smell is fantastic.
Qdog

LoftyNotions

Re: What's happening with this Leerdammer?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:09:58 PM »
Was the temperature probe in the warmest part of the pot? Is calibration correct? I assume the probe is a thermocouple, so it should be pretty stable...

It sure looks like the cheese got way above 70. Take your temp with the probe, or check at freezing and boiling. (The probe, not yourself. ;)  ).

Larry
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:35:26 AM by LoftyNotions »

Kern

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:59:57 AM »
Yo, qdog.  How do you think new cheeses get discovered?  Some dude takes the road less traveled and discovers something great.  The trick, my friend, is being able to retrace one's steps so the mistake can be duplicated.  In anticipation that your cheese will turn out well and you'll be able to share the recipe and procedure in depth I am awarding you with a cheese.   8)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:16:22 AM »
I'm thinking you got a blowout.  Other than that I got nothing.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

qdog1955

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 11:03:41 AM »
Larry-----I did check the calibration-----you can't see it in the photos, but the rack is two inches above the bottom---the bottom being the warmest part, I have the thermocouple  almost touching the bottom-----also have a thermometer inside to verify.
 Agree it looks like the temp went higher at some time----do you think it's possible that the inexpensive Chinese controller had a temporary malfunction? I have three of these, and as far as I know that has never happened before----but then again, I only check it a couple times a day.

Al----don't think it's a blowout,yet---there is no swelling and the smell is fantastic, makes your mouth water.

Kern ---you are ever the optimist  :)---I love it, helps keep my chin up in difficult times ;)----unfortunately I don't know exactly how I got from point A to point C---and missed all of point B :( 
Qdog

LoftyNotions

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:12 PM »
Q, I wouldn't think a temporary malfunction with the controller would be likely. Possibly a broken wire to the thermocouple that makes/breaks??? I don't know if loss of continuity would turn the controller on or off though. Now I'm at a loss too. :(  At least it smells good. :)

Larry

Alpkäserei

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 04:31:03 AM »
when did it start to flow?
if you let it sit on a shelf before brining, the cheese would easily have flowed a bit because it does not have a stiff rind to help hold its shape.

qdog1955

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:08:33 AM »
Alp----it started to "flow" by the second day and seemed to stop in three or four days---it just seems strange that the previous four makes never did any thing like this----do you think it could be caused by the brining being a day late?
Qdog

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
  Al----don't think it's a blowout,yet---there is no swelling and the smell is fantastic, makes your mouth water.
Qdog

I was being a smartass.  The reference was to a tire deflating, not a total failure. LOL  I've been able to eat every cheese I made and I've screwed some up pretty bad. LOL  Must admit I've never seen anything like this though. :o
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:25:16 PM by Al Lewis »
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

qdog1955

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:46:28 PM »
Think I'll call this a Mauna Loa cheese-----It flows like lava.  :)
Qdog

qdog1955

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 04:04:44 PM »
I thought I'd update the LAVA FLOW Leerdammer
  Opened this Leerdammer today-----smells great---looks better then I expected, only small eyes, but what would you expect from a cheese that looks like an Elephant stepped on it? :D   The texture is smooth, slightly creamy. The taste is reminiscent of Jarlsberg, but only tried a very small piece----I figured if it's contaminated, I'd let the neighbor kids try it first. >:D
Qdog

Stinky

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 05:28:33 PM »
Good job! I like the rind.

LoftyNotions

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 06:31:13 PM »
Have a FLEESE for your effort. :) (Flat Cheese)

Larry